Fort Howard EUL Development Opportunity
VA seeks to competitively select a private developer to enter into a long-term ground lease for the redevelopment of the Fort Howard Campus (or "Site") under its Enhanced-Use Leasing (EUL) authority.
The Fort Howard Campus was established in the early 19th century as a Costal Artillery defense site and has historic significance. In 1940, the campus was transformed into a VA medical center. Responding to mission changes, VA relocated the site’s inpatient and administrative programs to other facilities in the VA Maryland Healthcare system in 2000. Today, VA’s only remaining presence on site is a Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC).
The successful Offeror(s) will redevelop, operate, and maintain the Fort Howard Campus compatible with VA’s mission, goals, and objectives, as set forth in the Request for Proposals (RFP) and provide cash or in-kind considerations to VA equal to the fair market value of the leased assets as determined by the VA Secretary.
The entire Site will be conveyed in a single transaction and will become the responsibility of the successful Offeror immediately after execution of the EUL agreement.
VA does not prescribe a specific reuse product type, but encourages and prefers redevelopment and/or adaptive reuse concepts for the existing Site to include, but not be limited to a Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) development that may consist of affordable independent or dependent senior housing, long-term care, assisted living, skilled nursing facilities or other residential healthcare uses that would cover the full CCRC spectrum. In addition, educational and community support facilities should be considered as part of overall the redevelopment concept.
The Fort Howard Campus’ location at the southern most tip of the North Point Peninsula offers spectacular views of the Chesapeake Bay.
The Campus consists of approximately 94.6 acres of land and approximately 306,000 square feet of existing improvements that are available for reuse. It includes 36 buildings and structures, most of which are historically significant, and is served by VA and municipal utility systems, including water, sewer, and electric. A site map is available under Relevant Documents.
The majority of the improvements on the Fort Howard Campus were constructed between 1898 and 1943, and 32 of these structures are considered historic by the State of Maryland. Structures range in size from a large five-story brick hospital to large wood-frame homes to small maintenance and support buildings. The Site is set up in a campus like layout with buildings surrounding a central parade ground. The campus consists of relatively flat topography and has an irregular triangular shape with each boundary being about the same length. A building inventory is available under Relevant Documents.
The Site is located in Baltimore County, Maryland, approximately 15.0 miles from Downtown Baltimore and is bounded by Fort Howard Park to the east; Denton Cove, the Chesapeake Bay and a residential community to the north; and the Patapsco River to the south and west. It is conveniently accessed via local roads and connectors just off of the areas main highway, Interstate 695.