|Why is the patient statement being changed?
The Health Resource Center (HRC), which operates a national contact center for Veterans, receives thousands of calls each month from Veterans and their families with questions about their patient statements. As indicated by the high number of calls, the existing statement format is often confusing. In addition, the large number of inquiries increases VA’s operational expenses and decreases the level of service provided to Veterans.
How does the new patient statement benefit Veterans?
The improved statement has a concise and easy to understand layout. Features of the new statement design include:
- More prominent placement of the account number. This change addresses the number one frustration of Veterans: “Where is the account number on my statement?”
- Clear account summary. The new statement provides a simple summary of charges, payments received, and balance owed. The location of the account summary was moved from the bottom of the statement to the top.
- Enhanced service descriptions. Services received, such as visits and prescriptions, are now clearly listed on the statement.
- Multiple payment options. The statement now indicates that Veterans with a balance due have multiple payment options including: Online, By Mail, In Person, and Pay by Phone.
- "Pay by Date" added. The payment due date provides Veterans a specific date to pay the statement balance to avoid late fees.
What process was used to update the patient statement design?
The Department of Veterans Affairs organized a workgroup to create a more patient-friendly statement that is easier to read and understand. Input from Veterans was used to develop improvements to the statement design.
Who do I contact for more information?
For questions about the redesigned patient statement, call VA’s toll-free number between 8am - 8pm (EST) at 1-866-400-1238.