VA serves a population of 26 million veterans and their spouses, survivors, and dependents.
- Nearly three-quarters of living veterans served during a war or period of conflict.
- Vietnam veterans account for the largest group of all veterans. World War II veterans make up the next largest group.
- VA serves a growing number of women veterans. Currently there are 1.7 million women veterans, or 7 percent of the total population of veterans.
- About one-quarter of the Nation's population is potentially eligible for VA benefits. VA's responsibility to care for those who serve can last a lifetime... or far beyond a lifetime.
- The last dependent of a Revolutionary War veteran died in 1911.
- The last veteran of the Spanish-American War died in 1992; 152 children and widows of the Spanish-American War still receive VA compensation or pension benefits.
- Five children of Civil War veterans still receive VA benefits.
Top of page