VHA Office of Emergency Management
Education, Training & Exercise Program
This program provides the professionals supporting the VHA Comprehensive Emergency Management Program (CEMP) with an up-to-date training and development program that is based on professional competencies, role-specific, and includes multiple modalities of learning. The program also conducts and supports exercises that test and evaluate disaster response capabilities and identify performance improvement opportunities.
Conducts national-level exercises to test and evaluate VHA’s ability to respond effectively large-scale disasters, such as hurricanes, earthquakes, cyber-attacks capable of crippling the internet and industrial infrastructure. Whenever possible, OEM will work to incorporate networks and facilities into the exercise program to test the integration of the response of entire VHA.
Develops standards and curricula for professions supporting the Comprehensive Emergency Management Program (CEMP). Current initiatives include:
- VHA OEM Annual Training Plan FY 2013 (PDF 648 kb)
- VHA Emergency Management Program Competency Development. Subject matter experts from OEM, medical centers and networks are developing a standard VHA emergency management career track. Target completion in FY 2014, implementation FY 2015.
- Emergency Management Capabilities Assessment Program (EMCAP) Course Development. Focus groups are developing updated capabilities and content for the Phase III of assessments and training curriculum. (more information EMCAP). Target completion & implementation in FY 2014.
- Emergency Management Program 101 Course Development. Subject matter experts from OEM, medical centers and networks are developing standard initial course for newly assigned VHA Emergency Managers, utilizing the emergency management competency framework, and current guidance and requirements. Target completion in FY 2014; implementation FY 2015.
- Federal Coordinating Center 101 Course Delivery. This course, jointly provided by subject matter with Departments of Health and Human Services, Defense, and Veterans Affairs and hosted by the Defense Medical Readiness Institute, prepares FCC Coordinators and facility emergency managers to develop and implement patient reception operations under the National Disaster Medical System (NDMS). Please check with your VHA OEM Area Emergency Manager (See OEM Staff List) for course dates.
- National Incident Management System (NIMS) Training Plan. Implement a standardized training plan for VHA offices with defined roles in the VHA Emergency Operations Plan (EOP), and those assigned incident management roles in VHA facility and/or network emergency plans. Target completion & implementation in FY 2014.
Performance Improvement Management System (PIMS)
PIMS is an electronic performance support system to support VHA CEMP, and has the following components:
- Exercise Builder allows emergency managers at the VA facilities, networks, and at the national level to design and document exercises or real world events, facilitate thorough evaluation against specific objectives.
- After Action Review/Improvement Plan (AAR/IP) is integrated with the Exercise Builder to assist facility EM’s in developing action reports (AARs) and improvement plans (IPs) to track the closure of improvement recommendations.
- Volunteer Management System (VMS) is the replacement for the current DEMPS database. The VMS has greater capabilities and allows the DEMPS National Program Manager to more effectively manage the program.
- Emergency Management Financial System (EMFS) is an electronic financial system for the Office of Emergency Management and its senior staff.
- Emergency Program Manager Education Curriculum and Resources
- Link to the PIMS website application: https://vha.orau.org *
(access is restricted to registered facility, VISN, & VHA personnel)
Program Manager Contact Information
Bob Smith, EdD
Program Manager for Education, Training, and Exercise
(304) 264-4824 (Office)
(304) 886-9204 (Cell)
(304) 264-4499 (Fax)
* indicates the link leads out of the Veterans Affairs domain
Download free viewer and reader software to view PDF, video and other file formats.