2011 Parapan Game Results
The 2011 Parapan American Games took place last month (November 12 – 20) in Guadalajara, Mexico. Over 1300 athletes representing 24 nations competed for gold at this multi-sport event that's held every four years in the year before the Parlympic Games.
Over 176 athletes, including 63 Paralympians represented the United States and took home 132 medals. Of those medals, 17 were won by U.S. Military Veteran athletes, including 1 Active Duty service member and 2008 Paralympians Scott Winkler, Scot Severn and Russell Wolfe.
"We are so proud of our Veteran athletes and their accomplishments at this years games," said Chris Nowak, Director of the Office of National Veterans Sports Programs and Special Events. "These athletes continue to show that there is no obstacle that can't be beat."
Find out how you can qualify for the VA Paralympic Grant Program and set the goal to represent your country in future Paralympic events.
Parapan Veteran/Military Medalists
- Russell Wolfe (Williamsburg, Va.) – bronze, men's individual recurve
- Dugie Denton (Joilet, Mont.) – bronze, men's individual compound open division
- *Sergeant Michael Lukow (Alamosa, Colo.) – silver, men's individual recurve
- (*Denotes active duty.)
- Oz Sanchez (San Diego, Calif): gold, mixed H1-4 road time trial, gold, H2-4 road race
- Steve Peace (San Diego, Calif.) – gold, mixed T1-2 road time trial, silver, mixed T1-2 road race
- Jennifer Schuble (Homewood, Ala.) - gold, 500m time trial, gold 3km pursuit (C4-5)
SITTING VOLLEYBALL (Team silver medal)
- James Stuck (New Kensington, Pa.)
- Ed O'Neil (Edmond, Okla.)
- Dan Regan (Edmond, Okla.)
TRACK & FIELD
- Kate Callahan (San Antonio, Texas) – bronze, discuss (F57/F58)
- Angela Madsen (Long Beach, Calif.) – silver, shot put (F56)
- Brandon Pelletier (Marble Falls, Texas) – bronze, 100m (T46)
- Scot Severn (Caro, Mich.) – silver, discus – F51/52/53, silver, shot put (F52/53)
- Stephanie Timmer (Naperville, Ill.)– bronze, discus (F11/12)
- Scott Winkler (Grovetown, Ga.), gold, shot put (F54/55/56) & bronze, discus (F54/55/56)