The Overton Brooks VAMC is located in the northwestern corner of the state of Louisiana in Shreveport. We are now available on-line at www.shreveport.va.gov.
Congress authorized the Shreveport VA Hospital in 1946. Construction began on the facility in 1947 and the first patient was admitted in 1950. The Hospital originally housed around 450 inpatient beds with minimal outpatient activity.
The Hospital was renamed the Overton Brooks VA Medical Center in 1988 in honor of former Louisiana 4th District Congressman Overton Brooks who is credited with placing the Medical Center in Shreveport.
Over the years, as healthcare has moved from the inpatient arena to outpatient services, the hospital has reduced the bed level from the original number to 112 beds today. Outpatient visits, on the other hand, have gone up dramatically, to well over 330,900 visits per year. The Medical Center serves a population of over 131,000 veterans residing within its primary service area which encompasses 15 northeast Texas counties, five southwestern Arkansas counties and 12 northwest Louisiana parishes.
The Medical Center is affiliated with the Louisiana State University School of Medicine in Shreveport and has sharing agreements with the 2d Medical Group at Barksdale AFB and LSU Health Sciences Center. The VAMC provides tertiary care in medicine, surgery, neurology and psychiatry and a broad spectrum of outpatient services. The Ambulatory Care Program provides primary care services at the VAMC and at Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs) which were opened in Texarkana, Texas 1994; Monroe, Louisiana, 1995 and Longview, Texas 1999.