Attention JAWS users. To access the menus on this page please preform the following steps. 1. Please switch JAWS auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Disability Compensation

If you have disabilities that are the result of a disease or injury incurred or aggravated during active military service—no matter when you served—you may be eligible to receive monthly benefits.

Applying for compensation is different than applying for other benefits. It requires supporting documentation and proof of the claim or claims.

To receive compensation, you must have all of the following:

  1. Medical evidence of a current physical or mental disability.
  2. Evidence of an event, injury, or disease in service.
  3. Evidence of a link between your current disability and the event, injury, or disease in military service.

Apply Now

Applying for compensation can vary case by case, depending on the complexity of the claim.

The fastest and simplest way to a speedy decision is to submit all supporting documents and evidence together. This is called a Fully Developed Claim (FDC). If you are not ready to submit an FDC, submit VA Form 21-526EZ to initiate the claim, and then you have one year to collect and submit all supporting documents and evidence.


You may be eligible for VA benefits if you were discharged from active duty under any condition other than dishonorable. Some benefits may be used by active-duty Servicemembers. Spouses, children, and survivors of Veterans or Servicemembers may also be eligible for VA benefits. Consult the VA benefits booklet or visit the nearest VA regional office for more detailed information.