VA operates 131 national cemeteries throughout the United States. VA honors Veterans, their spouses, and dependents with final resting places in national shrines.
Benefits may include burial in a VA national cemetery, opening and closing of the grave, perpetual care, inscribed headstone or marker, a burial flag, Presidential Memorial Certificate, and other services. Veterans may be eligible for a headstone, marker, or medallion for placement in private cemeteries worldwide. Some Veterans may also be eligible for burial allowances.
To schedule a burial at the time of need, follow this two-step process:
- Families may fax discharge documentation to the National Cemetery Scheduling Office at 1-866-900-6417.
- Follow up with a phone call to 1-800-535-1117.
- VA national cemetery gravesites cannot be reserved in advance.
- Make sure that your family knows your wishes and where your discharge papers are kept. These papers establish your family's eligibility for burial services.
- You can make advance arrangements with a funeral home of your choice.