These stories are fictional, but are based on real Veterans' experiences.
Mr. Jenkins is an 88 year old WWII Veteran who served in the Navy.
- He’s hard of hearing.
- He has prostate cancer.
- He’s had at least 3 TIAs (transient ischemic attacks or mini-strokes) in the past year that have caused increasing problems with mobility.
- He’s taken a couple of nasty falls during the past year.
- He seems to be depressed.
Mr. Jenkins’ support system:
- He’s a snowbird who lives alone in Florida in the fall and winter. In the spring and summer months he lives with his daughter in New York, but she works full time.
- He attends church in New York, but many of his long-time friends have moved or passed away.
- He is connected to a group in New York called the ROMEOs (Retired Old Men Eating Out). They keep an eye out for each other.
Mr. Jenkins’ primary care provider suggested that he look at the online Guide to Long Term Care and then make an appointment with a social worker to review options.