Beneficiary Travel Benefits
If you meet the criteria below, you may be eligible for mileage reimbursement or special mode transport in association with obtaining VA health care services.
|You Qualify If:
||You Qualify for Special Mode Transportation
(Ambulance, Wheelchair van etc.) if:
- you have a service-connected (SC) rating of 30 percent or more, or
- you are traveling for treatment of a SC condition, or
- you receive a VA pension, or
- your income does not exceed the maximum annual VA pension rate, or
- you are traveling for a scheduled compensation or pension examination
- your medical condition requires an ambulance or a specially equipped van as determined by a VA clinician, and
- you meet one of the eligibility criteria in 1 through 4 above, and
- the travel is pre-authorized (authorization is not required for emergencies if a delay would be hazardous to life or health)
$0.415 (41.5 cents) per mile
Scheduled appointments qualify for round-trip mileage. Unscheduled visits may be limited to return mileage only.
$3.00 one-way ($6.00 round trip)
Deductible requirement is subject to a monthly cap of $18.00. Upon reaching $18.00 in deductibles or 6 one-way (3 round) trips, whichever comes first, travel payments made for the balance of that particular month will be free of deductible charges.
Waiver of Deductible
A waiver of the deductible will be provided if you are eligible for travel and you:
- are in receipt of a VA pension or;
- are a NSC Veteran and your previous year’s income does not exceed, or your projected current calendar year’s income, in the year of application will not exceed the applicable VA pension rate, or
- are a SC Veteran and your previous year’s income does not exceed, or your projected current calendar year’s income, in the year of application will not exceed the applicable national means test income threshold or,
- are traveling for a scheduled compensation and pension exam
Further information can be found in Beneficiary Travel Frequently Asked Questions.