Office of Academic Affiliations
Centers of Excellence Primary Care Education
October 4, 2012
Attention CoEPCE Co-Directors:
Another potential scholarship and dissemination opportunity has come to our attention. The Collaborating Across Borders IV meeting will be held in Vancouver, BC, Canada June 12-14, 2013. The call for abstracts for "Interprofessional Collaboration: Transformative Change from the Classroom to Practice" may be found here. We are looking for an interested CoEPCE team member from each site to take charge of completing a survey in collaboration with you and others who know your curriculum well. The survey blends themes identified in the IPEC "Core Competencies for Interprofessional Collaborative Practice" and invites you to comment on your site's alignment with these competencies. Obviously, there are no wrong answers! Please contact Laural Traylor with questions and if you are interested in this project and can identify a "lead" to help us gather these data and prepare the meeting submission by October 17th (to meet the deadline of October 26). You will find the survey located on our Intranet Sharepoint under the "Competencies and Curriculum" folder filename Survey-CoE Educational Domains Mapped to Core Competencies for Interprofessional Collaborative Practice.
Attention CoEPCE Program Managers:
Please forward the names of your EndNote software points of contact to Julia.Kurpakas@va.gov. Julia is working will on the development of the CoEPCE Resource Library and will send your POC’s access information and materials.
Advanced Nursing Practice:
Global Vision Global Realty Conference, London
By Melanie Nash- Co-Director
Boise, Center of Excellence Primary Care Education
In August, I had the privilege to attend and present at the 7th International Nurse Practitioners/Advanced Practice Nursing Network Conference. Advanced Nursing Practice: Global Vision Global Reality" in London, England (self-funded). Approximately 350 advanced practice nurses from 28 countries were in attendance. Kathy Rugen and I were to present, but Kathy was unable to attend. I forged on presenting both the foundations of the Centers of Excellence in Primary Care Education and specifically the work on interprofessional health education from the Boise VA CoE’s first year.
A multi-national audience of fifty attended my presentation "Transforming health care delivery through interprofessional health professions education" and it was well received. Particular comments /questions regarding the nuts and bolts of interprofessional practice, trust and respect came from a younger male UK NP (who is charged with leading an interprofessional clinic in London) and US east coast NP faculty. Several attendees clicked photos of the power point presentation.
I attended multiple presentations and three keynote addresses. I perceived that while the United States is focusing on DNP training as entry into practice for advanced practice nurses, most of the world is working on developing formal APN education and brokering acceptance and full expression for scope of practice. Industrialized countries such as UK, Canada, Netherlands and Australia have more fully developed APN programs and practice, but are not focusing on doctoral education. Developing and Middle Eastern countries such as Botswana, Ethiopia, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, who continue to struggle with stable basic health care and nursing, are pressing on toward APN education as a way to address population health. Multiple European Union countries are challenging the male dominated hierarchical system of health care, which is slow going. US advanced practice nursing may be ahead, but is still not out of the woods.
Thank you for the opportunity to participate in this grand experiment called the Centers of Excellence. Note: The Conference Book of Abstracts (including the abstract by Ms. Nash) may be found here.
External Link Disclaimer: The links below are external links. By clicking on these links, you will leave the Department of Veterans Affairs website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked website.
News You Can Use
- Primary Care: Next Frontier for Elite Medical Schools. Sept. Kaiser Health News
- Empowered Nurses Key to Health Care Reform Oct. Health Policy Solutions
Resources and Publications You Can Use
- VHA Health Informatics Initiative. Tools, Education and Other Resources
- Better Care at Lower Cost: The Path to Continuously Learning Health Care In America Sept. Institute of Medicine
- Institute of Healthcare Improvement
- Shared Decision Making Video – Victor Montori, MD, MSc.
- Improving Communicaiton with Quality Improvement, Med Student QI Project
- The Pharmacists’s role in the Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) a white paper created by the Health Policy Committee of the Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association (PPA). Apr. The Annals of Pharmacotherapy
- Patient-Centered Medical Home: How it Affects Psychosocial Outcome for Diabetes Sep. Current Diabetes Reports
- Lessons Learned from Implementing the Patient Centered Medical Home Aug. Int J. Telemed Appl.
- The Cost of Assuming Doctors Know Best Sep. The Atlantic
- Communicating with Patients on Health Care Evidence Discussion Paper. Sep. Institute of Medicine
- Patient-Clinical Communication Basic Principles and Expectations Discussion Paper. Jun. Institute of Medicine.
- Collaborating Across Borders (CAB IV): Transformative Change from Classroom to Practice Deadline for Abstracts, October 26, 2012
Upcoming Conferences/Training 2012
- National Academies of Practice: Patient Centered Care: Working Together in an Interprofessional World Sep 14-15, Cleveland, Oh
- AHRQ 2012 Annual Conference
- Hospitals and Communities Moving Forward With Patient and Family Centered Care: An Intensive Training Seminar - Partnerships in Quality and Safety Institute for Patient and Family Centered Care. Oct 1-4, Ann Arbor, MI
- All Together Better Health Interprofessional Education and Collaborative Practice Oct 5-8. Kobe, Japan
- IPEC Institute (AAC)). Interprofessional Education Collaborative Oct 15-17, Atlanta, GA
- The Forum 12: Population Health Management Oct 18-19. Atlanta
- NCQA: Facilitating PCMH Recognition. Oct 22-23, Chicago
- NCQA: PCMH Best Practices and Lessons Learned Oct 24, Chicago
- The Journey to a PCMH: Choose your Path Patient Centered Primary Care Collaborative. Oct 25, Chicago, IL.
- American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC) Annual Meeting Nov 2-7, San Francisco
- Institute of Medicine. Core Metrics for Better Care, Lower Costs and Better Health Dec 5-6 , Irvine
- 24th Annual National Forum on Quality Improvement in Healthcare Dec 9-12, Orlando
Upcoming Conferences/Training 2013
- Applying the Science of Psychology in Academic Health Centers: Implications for Practice, Teaching, Research and Policy Association of Psychologists in Academic Health Centers Jan 31- Feb 1, Nashville, Tn.
- Collaborating Across Borders IV June 12-13 2013, Vancouver
- Society of Behavioral Medicine Annual Meeting - March 20-23
Coordinating Center Staff