Capital Asset Policy, Planning, and Strategy (CAPPS) Service
This service serves as the focal point for the development, and guidance of a cost-effective and flexible capital asset, acquisition, management, and disposal process for all types of capital investments. Specifically, the CAPPS Service will:
- Develop, recommend and promulgate Department capital asset policy by instituting a life cycle focus for investments, and ensuring all capital activities (from acquisition through disposal) are accomplished in concert with the Department’s strategic vision and strategic management process. Policies will ensure consistency across the Department in investment strategy approaches and within programs and transactions.
- Establish an Investment Protocol (IP) to ensure a systematic and sound business analysis of proposed investments including standardized asset applications, verification of investment need, and guidance on the selection of the appropriate acquisition program. The IP will provide a prioritized structured decision tree to facilitate the determination of the most advantageous method for acquiring a capital asset.
- Develop and coordinate the Department’s long-term Department Capital Asset Plan (CAP) and submitting the plan to OMB in support of the annual budget request. The CAP will streamline current interactions with OMB regarding capital issues, and serve as a vehicle for submission of required budget exhibits, 53 and 300.
- Develop a financing plan for the long-term CAP, which will consist of a mix of appropriated and non-appropriated funding, across all investment programs and all VA elements. The financing plan will be developed, in conjunction with the VA CAP, and coordinate VA’s public and private endeavors.
- Set financing policy and strategy for private sector financing in order to minimize total cost to the federal government, which may involve many types of non-appropriated sources such as: bond financing; certificate of participation; local municipalities (financing); public backed financing; and special purpose or private purpose bond placements. Also, guidance and standardized language for financing structures for private and public asset development ventures will be provided.
- Set trust establishment policy and strategy by providing guidance and assistance in developing the appropriate business structure for the transaction (trusts), assuring that the consideration received meets Department business goals, and that the business commitments made by VA along with the financing plan are consistent with Department business objectives.
- Provide program specific guidance for investment categories by providing guidance and assistance in developing capital asset plans and processes for investment review that are compliant with directions from OMB, GAO, and Congress. Specific guidance will be issued for all capital investment programs (e.g., Non-Recurring Maintenance, Enhanced-Use, Energy Savings Performance Contracts, Leasing, Enhanced Sharing, Major and Minor Construction, etc.).
- Develop legislative proposals to provide flexibility to the Department in managing VA’s assets. Activities may also include requesting clarifying language from Congress. Legislative activities will be coordinated with General Counsel and the Office of Congressional and Legislative Affairs.
- Ensure adherence to legislative requirements of GPRA, FASA, Clinger/Cohen, etc., by continuously monitoring the requirements of the legislation and against the products generated. Ensuring that required reports relating to capital asset management are submitted to OMB and Congress in a timely manner.
- Serve as liaison with OMB, GAO, Congress, Appropriating, and Authorizing Committees, and other interested parties with regard to the Department Capital Asset Plan. This office will serve as the Department’s advocate for improved capital investments with OMB and Congress.