Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps.
1. Please switch auto forms mode to off.
2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc).
3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow.
You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.
Office of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs
National Veterans Golden Age Games
- The premier senior adaptive rehabilitation program in the United States, and the only national multi-event sports and recreational seniors’ competition program designed to improve the quality of life for all older Veterans, including those with a wide range of abilities and disabilities. The National Veterans Golden Age Games (NVGAG) is one of the most progressive and adaptive rehabilitative senior sports programs in the world. The Games serve as a qualifying event for competition in the National Senior Games in a number of competitive events.
- May 30 – June 4, 2013
- Buffalo, New York
- Military Veterans age 55 or older who receive health care at any VA medical facility are eligible to compete in the National Veterans Golden Age Games.
- Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
- Veterans Canteen Service (VCS)
- Sports and fitness are vital ingredients of VA’s National Rehabilitation Special Events. Physical activity and friendly competition engage the mind as well as the body, and recreation therapy fills a special need in the lives of older patients at VA health centers across the country. VA research and clinical experience verify that physical activity is particularly important to the health, recovery and overall quality of life for older people. The National Veterans Golden Age Games encourage VA patients over the age of 55 to make physical activity a central part of their lives, and support VA’s comprehensive recreation and rehabilitation therapy programs. It is a national showcase for the preventive and therapeutic value of sports, fitness and recreation for all older Americans.
- Competitive events include: swimming, cycling, golf, shot-put, discus, 10-meter air rifle, table tennis, dominoes, shuffleboard, horseshoes, nine-ball, bowling, checkers and croquet. Each event has seven age categories for participation, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80-84 and 85 and up. Additionally, Veterans with visual impairments and those who use wheelchairs for mobility may compete in the Visually Impaired or Wheelchair divisions.
- VA Western New York Healthcare System