Office of Accountability and Whistleblower Protection
WE²CARE, which stands for We engage, educate, and collaborate to improve accountability and reliability in VA for everyone.
• The W in WE²CARE stands for We. That is, the Assistant Secretary and all OAWP staff.
• The E2 in WE²CARE stands for engage and educate.
o Engagement includes ongoing communication with whistleblowers about disclosures and investigations, investigations conducted or overseen by OAWP, and recommendations made by the Assistant Secretary for disciplinary action.
o Educate includes the training that OAWP has conducted and will continue to conduct for supervisors and employees.
• The C in WE²CAREstands for collaborate. Collaboration includes building trust in OAWP investigations and recommendation by maintaining ongoing dialogue and communication with stakeholders, including Congress and the public. Collaboration also includes liaising with GAO, OIG, OSC, and OMI on reports and recommendations and working with VA administrations and staff offices to ensure compliance with those recommendations.
• The A in WE²CARE stands by accountability. Accountability begins with self-accountability. That is, employees and managers holding themselves accountable versus OAWP or another entity within VA forcing them to be accountable.
• The R in WE²CARE stands for reliability, including for individuals who use VA services; who trust VA with their lives and those of their loved ones; for entities that audit a VA, including GAO and OIG; and for Congress and the public.
• The last E in WE²CARE stands for everyone, including individuals who use VA services, for caregivers and families who support those individuals, for VA employees and applicants for VA employment, and for Congress and the public.