Whistleblower Navigator Overview
The Whistleblower Navigator (WBN) provides support to whistleblowers by providing information about the Office of Accountability and Whistleblower Protection (OAWP) processes, procedures, and practices. Whistleblowers are VA employees or applicants for VA employment who make a whistleblower disclosure. Whistleblower disclosures are disclosures that the whistleblower reasonably believes evidence a violation of law, rule or regulation; gross mismanagement; gross waste of funds; an abuse of authority; or a substantial and specific danger to public health or safety. For additional information, please see VA Directive 0500 . The Whistleblower Navigator can help VA employees and applicants for VA employment understand how they can utilize OAWP’s services and the process for making and investigating disclosures. OAWP will not disclose the identity of whistleblowers without the whistleblower’s consent except in accordance with the Privacy Act or as required by law.
The WBN can also provide information regarding OAWP’s process to Respondents, who are the subject of OAWP investigations.
The WBN can offer the following:
- Information about OAWP’s processes, procedures, and practices and can identify relevant laws and policies that may affect whistleblowers.
- Identification and explanation of the roles of several entities who may be able to assist with various types of matters, as appropriate.
- Contact information for other government resources, if appropriate.
The WBN does not process allegations or disclosures but can provide information regarding how to submit them to OAWP. The WBN does not serve as a representative for any particular individual. The WBN cannot provide advice or guidance regarding the best options for individuals and does not provide legal advice.
The WBN may facilitate OAWP communication and coordination with other offices, as appropriate. These offices may include the Office of Special Counsel, the Office of Inspector General, and other internal VA offices. When the WBN receives inquiries from non-VA employees and applicants that do not fall within OAWP coverage, the WBN will direct the individual(s) to the appropriate agency as applicable.
The Whistleblower Navigator can be reached by email at: WhistleblowerHelp@va.gov or via telephone at 1-202-461-4500.
Additional contact information for programs or resources related to VA Healthcare or benefits can be found by accessing: Helpful VA Phone Numbers | Veterans Affairs.
Listed below are toll free numbers for additional VA support services:
- Veterans Crisis Line (VCL): 1-800-273-8255 (opt 1)
- Quality of VA Care Related Concerns (VHA)-White House VA Hotline: 1-855-948-2311
- Veteran Disability Claims (VBA): 1-800-827-1000
- Veteran Pension (VBA): 1-877-294-6380
- VA Education Benefits (VBA): 1-888-442-4551
- VA Billing Issues-Compliance & Business Integrity (CBI): 1-866-842-4357
- Office of the Inspector General (OIG): 1-800-488-8244
- Office of Special Counsel (OSC): 1-800-872-9855
- Office of Resolution Management, Diversity & Inclusion (ORMDI): 1-888-566-3982 (opt 2)
Learn more about the difference between the Office of Accountability and Whistleblower Protection (OAWP), the U.S. Office of Special Counsel, VA’s Office of Inspector General, and VA’s Office of Resolution Management, Diversity and Inclusion.