Veterans with certain service-connected conditions that result in infertility may be eligible for infertility treatment and services paid for by VA. Covered services include:
- Infertility assessments
- Hormonal therapies
- Surgical correction
- Artificial insemination
- In vitro fertilization (IVF)
Both eligible Veterans and their spouses are potentially eligible for infertility treatment and services. To be eligible for IVF treatment specifically, Veterans must have a service-connected disability that results in the Veteran being unable to procreate without the use of fertility treatment.
- Evaluation. Veterans who are enrolled in VA health care can schedule an appointment with a VA provider for an evaluation to determine what treatment may be clinically appropriate. To schedule an evaluation, Veterans (male and female) can contact the Women Veterans Call Center at (855) 829-6636 or contact their local VA medical facility.
- Planning. Based on the evaluation, VA refers the Veteran (and spouse, as applicable) to a Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (REI) specialist in the community. The community provider will work with the Veteran and their spouse to develop a treatment plan.
- Treatment. Treatment is provided based on the treatment plan.
VA provides infertility treatment and services through REI community providers who are part of VA’s Patient-Centered Community Care (PC3) network. REI providers are an integral partner in making sure Veterans get the infertility treatment they need. REI providers interested in providing treatment and services to Veterans will need to register with Health Net or TriWest, which are Third Party Administrators (TPAs) who separately manage the two regions of the PC3 network.
Women Veterans Call Center
Veterans (male and female) can contact the Women Veterans Call Center for more information about service-connected infertility treatment.
- Infographic: Service-Connected Infertility Treatment
Describes treatment options available for Veterans with service-connected infertility, including in vitro fertilization (IVF) and the process for obtaining care.
- Handout for Veterans: In Vitro Fertilization Treatment
Describes availability of IVF treatment for Veterans and their spouses.
- Handout for Providers: In Vitro Fertilization Treatment
Describes requirements for VA payment of emergency care for Veterans.
- Frequently Asked Questions for Providers: In Vitro Fertilization Treatment
Describes how REI providers can join VA’s PC3 network to provide infertility treatment to Veterans.