Veterans Choice Program – Information for Providers
The Veterans Choice Program (VCP) is one of several programs VA uses to provide care to Veterans through community providers. For example, if a Veteran needs an appointment for a specific type of care, and VA cannot provide the care in a timely manner or the nearest VA medical facility is too far away or too difficult to get to, then VA may refer the Veteran to a community provider who participates in VCP.
If you are a community provider interested in providing care for Veterans through VCP, you must establish a contract with the VA’s third party administrator (TPA), currently TriWest Healthcare Alliance (TriWest). TPAs help administer VCP on behalf of VA.
NOTE: Providers do not need to join PC3 to participate in VCP, and all current PC3 providers are automatically eligible to participate in VCP.
Community providers interested in participating in VCP must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Must accept Medicare rates
- Must meet Medicare Conditions for Coverage and Conditions of Participation, or other criteria established by VA
- Be in compliance with all applicable federal and state regulatory requirements
- Have same or similar credentials as VA staff
- Submit a copy of the medical records to the TPA for medical care and services provided to Veterans for inclusion in the VA electronic record
- Must be eligible according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) Exclusion Program
If you meet the eligibility requirements, contact TriWest Healthcare Alliance, the third-party administrator (TPA), using the information listed below. Complete the process to establish a contract or provider agreement with TriWest, which will allow you to care for Veterans through VCP.
VA and TriWest have reached an agreement that expands TriWest’s services to all regions across the country under this program. The expansion ensures access to community care where needed until the next generation of Community Care Network contracts are awarded and implemented.
VA-TriWest Expansion Agreement News Release
Hours: 8:00 a.m.–10:00 p.m. EST, Monday–Friday, excluding federal holidays
IMPORTANT: The Health Net Federal Services (HNFS) contract with the VA ended on September 30, 2018. Providers with questions about claims submitted to HNFS prior to September 30, 2018 can contact HNFS directly.
Health Net Federal Services: 844-728-1914
For more information, please review the provider frequently asked questions and the HNFS Provider newsletter below.HNFS Contract Ending – Provider FAQs HNFS Provider Newsletter