Employee Education System
WRIISC-HOME eLearning Series
Veterans have unique health concerns, which may not exist within other populations. As a result, providers who see and treat Veterans need a clinical understanding of the challenges Veterans increasingly face from potentially toxic military and deployment-related environmental exposures. The War Related Illness and Injury Study Center (WRIISC), in conjunction with the newly named VA Health Outcomes Military Exposures (HOME) office has created a comprehensive curriculum with content focused on key exposure and other clinical deployment health topics. This on-demand, eLearning training series, consisting of five modules, offers information and tools to increase knowledge of community and VA providers to support high quality care for Veterans. These WRIISC-HOME courses are accessible below.
- Module 1: Assessing Deployment-Related Environmental Exposures – This course informs learners how to recognize the role and importance of deployment-related exposures through conducting a life time exposure assessment; identifying the steps for determining deployment-related environmental exposures; and describing approaches to communicating deployment-related exposure issues to Veterans, their caregivers and their family members. Non-VA employees click here to register. VA employees click here to register.
- Module 2: Airborne Hazards – This course provides clinicians with the knowledge needed to identify and understand deployment-related airborne hazards concerns of Veterans. Non-VA employees click here to register. VA employees click here to register.
- Module 3: Gulf War Illness – This course provides health care providers with the knowledge needed to identify, diagnose, manage and appropriately treat Gulf War illness in Veterans Non-VA employees click here to register. VA employees click here to register.
- Module 4: Chronic Multi-Symptom Illness – This course offers health care professionals an opportunity to gain insight into chronic multi-symptom illness, as well as the latest resources and management strategies to consider for care. Non-VA employees click here to register. VA employees click here to register.
- Module 5: Depleted Uranium and Toxic Embedded Fragments – This course discusses current research on health effects of depleted uranium (DU) in potentially DU-exposed populations; information about enrolling Veterans with suspected DU or toxic embedded fragments (TEF) into VA registry programs; and guidance about the clinical approach to Veterans with TEF. Non-VA employees click here to register. VA employees click here to register.