VA Homeless Programs
HERS - Homeless Evidence and Research Synthesis webinar - Where are we with Housing First?
Homeless Evidence and Research Synthesis (HERS) forum
Where are we with Housing First?
Monday, August 16, 2021
Overview: Housing First is a supportive housing model that emphasizes permanent supportive housing to end homelessness and values flexibility, individualized supports, client choice and autonomy. This approach provides individuals who are experiencing homelessness with permanent housing as quickly as possible and supportive services as needed. This live webinar will describe Housing First as a concept and program, outlining some implementation and sustainment challenges. This presentation will also address some Housing First perspectives and changes, as well as pros and cons of this approach from service user point of views.
Audience: Multidisciplinary staff serving Veterans at risk of homelessness or experiencing homelessness. Participants may include but are not limited to physicians, nurses, psychologists, social workers, counselors, case managers, housing specialists, peer specialists, team leaders, supervisors, addiction specialists, and Network Homeless Coordinators.
Modality: Virtual conference (webinar)
Dina Hooshyar, MD, MPH, Director, National Center on Homelessness among Veterans, Homeless Programs Office, Veterans Health Administration
- Tim Aubry, PhD, Full Professor, School of Psychology, Senior Researcher, Centre for Research on Educational and Community Services, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
- Meghan Deal, LICSW, ACSW, Director, Veterans Affairs Central Office (VACO) Homeless Programs Office, Housing and Urban Development -VA Supportive Housing, Seattle, WA
- Anthony Love, MPA, Acting U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness (USICH) Executive Director, Washington, DC
- Stacie Penrod, Peer Specialist, Housing and Urban Development -VA Supportive Housing, Worcester, WA
- Sam Tsemberis, PhD, President of the Pathways Housing First Institute in Los Angeles & Executive Director of the UCLA/VA Center for Excellence for Veteran Resilience and Recovery in Homelessness and Behavioral Health, Los Angeles, California
At the conclusion of this educational program, learners will be able to:
- Explain the origins, principles and impetus of Housing First;
- Describe some challenges of implementing and sustaining full Housing First model;
- Identify factors associated with positive and negative outcomes utilizing Housing First approach: and
- Discuss some pros and cons of the Housing First approach from service user point of view.
View the archived webinar and download presentations.
HERS Proceedings Document: Where Are We With Housing First
*To search the entire VA.gov site, please use the search bar in the upper right corner of the webpage