Saving lives by preventing Non-Ventilator Hospital-Acquired Pneumonia (NV-HAP)
Hospital-Acquired Pneumonia (HAP) is the #1 hospital-acquired infection in the U.S. and
of HAP cases occur among non-ventilated patients. Fortunately, we are discovering effective
ways to prevent Non-Ventilator Hospital-Acquired Pneumonia (NV-HAP).
The National Organization for NV-HAP Prevention (NOHAP) is a network of healthcare leaders designing a national NV-HAP research agenda and developing policies to combat NV-HAP. The goal is to implement effective prevention strategies to improve patient safety, enhance quality of life, and save lives.
We are working to educate patients and health care providers on these prevention strategies, such as improving oral care for Veterans and the general public.
The National Organization for NV-HAP Prevention (NOHAP) is a national level working group consisting of VA leadership and external representatives from academia, non-profits, industry, and other government agencies. The organization is working to save lives by preventing NV-HAP.
The Organization’s working group is facilitated by VA (VHA Innovation
Ecosystem, Nursing, Dentistry, and Health Services Research & Development) and consists of
external representatives from academia, non-profits, industry, and other government
Our representatives include the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Joint Commission, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, the American Dental Association, the Food and Drug Administration, the Health Resources and Services Administration, the Patient Safety Movement Foundation, Aetna, United Health Care, Johnson & Johnson, Amplifire, California State University at Sacramento, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, New York University, University at Buffalo, and University of Massachusetts.
Resources & Education
Here are some resources developed by NO HAP collaborators that you may share:
About VA’s Hospital Acquired Pneumonia Prevention by Engaging Nurses (HAPPEN) promising practice
- Video: Health Teeth, Healthy You Preventing Hospital Acquired Pneumonia (Staff Version)
- Video: Health Teeth, Healthy You Preventing Hospital Acquired Pneumonia (Patient Version)
- Resources from Oral Health Nursing Education and Practice (OHNEP)
- Aetna’s Rush to Brush Campaign
- NV-HAP and Oral Care Educational Brochure for Patients (unbranded | courtesy of Johnson & Johnson)
- NV-HAP and Oral Care Educational Brochure for Providers (unbranded | courtesy of Johnson & Johnson)
- Healthy Smiles for Veterans TMS course for Clinical Staff (accessible to non-VA clinicians)