Multiple Sclerosis Centers of Excellence
Multiple Sclerosis Centers of Excellence Research and Development
The Multiple Sclerosis Centers of Excellence (MSCoE) facilitate research to improve the understanding of MS among Veterans with MS. We advance forward the VA’s research mission by providing a structure and environment that facilitates MS laboratory, clinical, and epidemiologic and health services research. We also provide an environment for the incubation of ideas, and provide a structured network to advance research quickly. Our local and national multi-site trials enhance collaboration among VA medical facilities and increase the participation of Veterans in research activities. We also provide mentoring for VA Career Development Grants and National Institute of Health Awards.
MSCoE currently has over $18 million of research funding from various sources including the VA Rehabilitation Research and Development Service, National Institutes of Health, National MS Society, and private industry. In addition, MSCoE conducts several unfunded research and scholarly activities. To learn about VA MS researchers and research, visit our VA MS Researchers page. If you are interested in starting a research study in the VA, visit our VA Research Resources page.
MSCoE Staff and Fellows Publications in VA Fiscal Year 2020
- Anselmo F, Tatomir A, Boodhoo D, Mekala AP, Nguyen V, Rus V, Rus H. JNK as a biomarker of relapse and response to treatment in MS. Clin Immunol. 2020 Jan;210:108297.
- Arewasikporn A*, Roepke AM, Turner AP, Alschuler KN, Williams RM, Amtmann D, Molton IR. Goal pursuit, goal adjustment, and pain in middle-aged adults aging with physical disability. J Aging Health. 2019 Dec;31(10_suppl):214S-240S.
- Arpan I, Fling B, Powers K, Horak FB, Spain RI. Structural Neural Correlates of Impaired Postural Control in People with Secondary Progressive MS. Int J MS Care. May-Jun 2020;22(3):123-128.
- Bagnato F, Franco G, Ye F, Fan R, Commiskey P, Smith SA, Xu J, Dortch R. Selective inversion recovery quantitative magnetization transfer imaging: Toward a 3 T clinical application in MS. Mult Scler. 2020 Apr;26(4):457-467.
- Bagnato F, Gauthier SA, Laule C, Moore GRW, Bove R, Cai Z, Cohen-Adad J, Harrison DM, Klawiter EC, Morrow SA, Öz G, Rooney WD, Smith SA, Calabresi PA, Henry RG, Oh J, Ontaneda D, Pelletier D, Reich DS, Shinohara RT, Sicotte NL. Imaging Mechanisms of Disease Progression in MS: Beyond Brain Atrophy. J Neuroimaging. 2020 May;30(3):251-266.
- Bagnato F. Gadolinium should always be used to assess disease activity in MS - Commentary. Mult Scler. 2020 Jun;26(7):769-770.
- Bove R, Bevan C, Crabtree E, Zhao C, Gomez R, Garcha P, Morrissey J, Dierkhising J, Green AJ, Hauser SL, Cree BA, Wallin MT, Gelfand JM. Toward a low-cost, in-home, telemedicine-enabled assessment of disability in MS. Mult Scler. 2019 Oct;25(11):1526-1534.
- Buka SL, Wallin MT, Culpepper WJ, Lee YH, Marrie RA, Nelson LM, Kaye WE, Wagner L, Tremlett H, Campbell J, LaRocca N. Feasibility of Using a Nationally Representative Telephone Survey to Monitor MS Prevalence in the United States. Neuroepidemiology. 2020;54(2):123-130.
- Cameron M, Taylor C, Lapidus J, Ramsey K, Koop D, Spain R. Gastrointestinal tolerability and absorption of R- versus R,S-lipoic acid in progressive MS: a randomized crossover trial. Clin Pharmacol. 2020 Aug;60(8):1099-1106.
- Cameron MH, Haselkorn JK, Wallin MT. The MS Centers of Excellence: A Model of Excellence in the VA. Fed Pract. 2020 Apr;37(Suppl 1):S6-S10.
- Chaganti S, Welty VF, Taylor W, Albert K, Failla MD, Cascio C, Smith S, Mawn L, Resnick SM, Beason-Held LL, Bagnato F, Lasko T, Blume JD, Landman BA. Discovering novel disease comorbidities using electronic medical records. PLoS One. 2019 Nov 27;14(11):e0225495.
- Cronin MJ, Xu J, Bagnato F, Gochberg DF, Gore JC, Dortch RD. Rapid whole-brain quantitative magnetization transfer imaging using 3D selective inversion recovery sequences. Magn Reson Imaging. 2020 May;68:66-74.
- Devan SP, Jaing X, Bagnato F, Xu, J. Optimization and numerical evaluation of multi-compartment diffusion MRI using the spherical mean technique for practical MS imaging. Magn Reson Imaging. 2020 Sep 6;74:56-63.
- Fiedler SE, Spain RI, Kim E, Salinthone S. Lipoic acid modulates inflammatory responses of monocytes and monocyte-derived macrophages from healthy and relapsing-remitting MS patients. Immunol Cell Biol. 2020 Aug 6. doi: 10.1111/imcb.12392. Online ahead of print.
- Fitzgerald KC, Sand IK, Senders A, Spain R, Giesser G, Sullivan P, Baer DJ, LaRocca N, Zackowski K, Mowry EM. Conducting dietary intervention trials in people with MS: Lessons learned and a path forward. Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2020 Jan;37:101478.
- Goss AL, Cameron M. ANA Investigates: Cannabis and Cannabinoids for MS Symptoms. Ann Neurol. 2020 Jun;87(6):811-812.
- Gromisch ES, Turner AP, Leipertz SL, Beauvais J, Haselkorn JK. Risk factors for suboptimal medication adherence in persons with MS: Development of an electronic health record-based explanatory model for disease modifying therapy use. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2020 May;101(5):807-814.
- Gromisch ES, Turner AP, Leipertz SL, Beauvais J, Haselkorn JK. Who is not coming to clinic? A predictive model of excessive missed appointments in persons with MS. Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2020 Feb;38:101513.
- Hildebrand A, Minnier J, Cameron M. Cannabis use for symptom relief in MS: A cross-sectional survey of webinar attendees in the US and Canada. Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2020 Feb;38:101516.
- Hollen C*. Vascular Disease Risk Factors in MS. Neurodiem. Published January 14, 2020. www.neurodiem.com/news/vascular-disease-risk-factors-in-multiple-sclerosis-3dJjVKNZtCIWH93bJPngEe.
- Hollen CW*, Paz Soldán MM, Rinker JR 2nd, Spain RI. The Future of Progressive MS Therapies. Fed Pract. 2020 Apr;37(Suppl 1):S43-S49.
- Ighani M, Jonas S, Izbudak I, Choi S, Lema-Dopico A, Hua J, O’Connor EE, Harrison DM. No association between cortical lesions and leptomeningeal enhancement on 7-Tesla MRI in MS. Mult Scler. 2029 Feb;26(2):165-176.
- Kellerman QD, Hartoonian N, Beier ML, Leipertz SL, Maynard C, Hostetter T, Haselkorn JK, Turner AP. Risk factors for suicide in a national sample of veterans with MS. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2020 Jul;101(7):1138-1143.
- Kreisman NR, Wooliscroft LB*, Campbell C., Dotiwala AK, Cox ML, Denson AC, Betancourt AM, Tomchuck SL. Preconditioning hippocampal slices with hypothermia promotes rapid tolerance to hypoxic depolarization and swelling: Mediation by erythropoietin. Brain Res. 2020 Jan 1;1726:146517.
- Lakhani DA, Schilling KG, Xu J, Bagnato F. Advanced Multicompartment Diffusion MRI Models and Their Application in MS. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2020 May;41(5):751-757.
- Loftis JM, Navis T, Taylor J, Hudson R, Person U, Lattal KM, Vandenbark AA, Shirley R, Huckans M. Partial MHC/neuroantigen peptide constructs attenuate methamphetamine-seeking and brain chemokine (C-C motif) ligand 2 levels in rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 2020 Aug 5;880:173175.
- McKeithan LJ, Lyttle BD, Box BA, O'Grady KP, Dortch RD, Conrad BN, Thompson LM, Rogers BP, Newhouse P, Pawate S, Bagnato F, Smith SA. 7T quantitative magnetization transfer (qMT) of cortical gray matter in MS correlates with cognitive impairment. Neuroimage. 2019 Dec;203:116190.
- Mukharesh L, Maloni H, Maiberger M, Chen W, Wallin M. Unusual Adverse Dermatologic Conditions Associated With Fingolimod and Natalizumab in a Patient With Relapsing Remitting MS. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2020 May 5;195:105886.
- O'Grady KP, Dula AN, Lyttle BD, Thompson LM, Conrad BN, Box BA, McKeithan LJ, Pawate S, Bagnato F, Landman BA, Newhouse P, Smith SA. Glutamate-sensitive imaging and evaluation of cognitive impairment in MS. Mult Scler. 2019 Oct;25(12):1580-1592.
- Rice J*, Hugos C, Hildebrand A, Cameron M. Cannabis Use in People with MS and Spasticity: A Cross-Sectional Analysis. Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2020 Jun;41:102009.
- Rice J*, Woltjer R, Stienstra N, Sun E, Yadav V. Pearls & Oy-sters: Primary angiitis of the CNS presenting with recurrent intracranial hemorrhage. Neurology. 2020 Mar 3;94(9):e992-e995.
- Seifert HA, Gerstner G, Kent G, Vandenbark AA, Offner H. Estrogen-induced compensatory mechanisms protect IL-10-deficient mice from developing EAE. J Neuroinflammation. 2019 Oct 29;16(1):195.
- Shah VV, McNames J, Mancini M, Carlson-Kuhta P, Spain RI, Nutt JG, El-Gohary M, Curtze C, Horak FB. Quantity and Quality of Gait and Turning in People with MS, Parkinson’s Disease and Matched Controls During Daily Living Journal of Neurology. J Neurol. 2020 Apr;267(4):1188-1196
- Silbermann E*, Bourdette B. A new era for neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder. Lancet. 2019 Oct 12;394(10206):1304-1305.
- Silbermann E*, Senders A, Wooliscroft L*, Rice J*, Cameron M, Waslo C, Orban A, Chase E, Yadav V, Bourdette D, Spain RI. Cross-Sectional Survey of Complementary and Alternative Medicine Used in Oregon and Southwest Washington to Treat MS: A 17-Year Update. Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2020 Mar 7;41:102041.
- Spini M, Choi S, Harrison D. 7T MPFLAIR versus MP2EAGE for quantifying lesion volume in MS. J Neuroimaging. 2020 Jul;30(4):531-536.
- Tatomir A, Rao G, Boodhoo D, Vlaicu S, Beltrand A, Anselmo F, Rus V, Rus H. Histone Deacetylase SIRT1 Mediates C5b-9-Induced Cell Cycle in Oligodendrocytes. Front Immunol. 2020 Apr 9;11:619.
- Tolaymat B, Zheng W, Chen H, Choi S, Li X, Harrison DM. Sex-specific differences in rim appearance of MS lesions on quantitative susceptibility mapping. Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2020 Jun 18;45:102317.
- Turner AP, Harding KA, Brier MJ, Anderson DR, Williams RM. Military sexual trauma and chronic pain in Veterans. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2020 May 14. doi: 10.1097.
- Turner AP, Hartoonian NH, Sloan AP, Hughes AJ, Arewasikporn A*, Alschuler KN, Ehde DM, Haselkorn JK. Physical activity and depression in MS: The mediating role of behavioral activation. Disabil Health J. 2019 Oct;12(4):635-640.
- Turner AP, Jensen MP, Day MA, Williams RM. Behavioral Activation and Behavioral Inhibition: An examination of function in chronic pain. Rehabil Psychol. 2020 Mar 9.
- Turner AP, Knowles LM*. Behavioral Intervention in MS. Fed Pract. 2020 Apr;37(Suppl 1):S31-S35.
- Vandenbark A, Meza-Romero, Offner H. Surviving the storm: Dealing with COVID-19. Cell Immunol. 2020 Aug;354:105153.
- Wallin MT, Whitham R, Maloni H, Jin S, Duckart J, Haselkorn J, Culpepper WJ. The MS Surveillance Registry: A Novel Interactive Database Within the Veterans Health Administration. Fed Pract. 2020 Apr;37(Suppl 1):S18-S23.
- Wallin MT. Initial highly effective therapy for MS: A strong start. Neurology. 2020 Aug 25;95(8):e1114-e1116.
- Wooliscroft L*, Altowaijri G, Hildebrand A, Samuels M, Oken B, Bourdette D, Cameron M. Phase I randomized trial of liothyronine for remyelination in MS: a dose-ranging study with assessment of reliability of visual outcomes. Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2020 Feb 20;41:102015.
- Wooliscroft L*, Brown D, Cohen J, Skolarus L, Silbermann E*. Continuing Clinical Research During Shelter-in-Place. Ann Neurol. 2020 Jul 3;10.1002/ana.25840. Online ahead of print.
- Yeroushalmi S, Maloni H, Costello K, Wallin MT. Telemedicine and MS: A comprehensive literature review. J Telemed Telecare. 2020 Aug-Sep;26(7-8):400-413.
* MSCoE Fellow
Disclaimer: Links are provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only. They do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by MSCoE of any of the products, services, or opinions of the organization. MSCoE bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality, or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.