Multiple Sclerosis Centers of Excellence
About the Multiple Sclerosis Centers of Excellence
The Multiple Sclerosis Centers of Excellence are dedicated to furthering the understanding of the disease, its impact on Veterans, and effective treatments to help manage MS symptoms. By partnering with Veterans, caregivers, and health care providers we hope to minimize disease impairment and increase the quality of life for Veterans with MS.
Our goals are to improve the quality and consistency of health services delivered to Veterans with MS across the country. Using a population-based management model, we support providers and Veterans by....
- Maintaining a national MS Data Repository of Veterans with MS that we use in our own research and making this data available to other MS researchers,
- Impacting services at the point-of-care using electronic medical record tools, and
- Developing face-to-face and distant education and training options for health professionals and Veterans to facilitate evidence-based delivery of services.
- Improve health care services for Veterans with multiple sclerosis.
- Improve coordination between VA medical centers by developing an informal network within the VA.
- Provide resources to VA providers through a collaborative approach to clinical care, education, research, and informatics.
Our Functional Cores
The MS Centers of Excellence are organized around four functional cores:
1. Clinical Care
Improve the clinical care of Veterans with MS by fostering an integrated hub–and–spoke care system within the entire VHA.
2. Research and Development
Conduct, disseminate, and apply research relevant to health needs of Veterans with MS using pre-clinical research on novel therapies and to pilot local and national clinical trials.
3. Education and Training
Provide a national program of MS education for VHA healthcare providers, Veterans and caregivers. Using a specialized post-doctoral fellowship training program continue to develop expertise in MS health care delivery.
4. Informatics and Telemedicine
Employ state-of-the-art informatics, telemedicine technology, and the MSCoE web site to enhance strategies and practices of MS healthcare delivery.
Jodie K. Haselkorn, MD, MPH
Dennis Bourdette, MD
Mitchell T. Wallin, MD, MPH