Multiple Sclerosis Centers of Excellence
Veterans with MS Share Their Stories
We are fortunate to have Veterans share their stories of living with MS. These stories are filled with life's challenges, the value of family and friends, a little sense of humor thrown in and lots of hopefulness. We hope you will enjoy reading these stories and in a small way feel connected to others that are living with this disease. If you would like to share your story with other Veterans, please email: MSCentersofExcellence@va.gov
- Ivan Nance, Prairie City, OR shares that MS is only one component of a full and meaningful life.
- Edward Robertson, Green Cove Springs, FL Naval instructor recounts his experiences with MS.
- Brian Pettyjohn, Olympic Peninsula, Washington shares his story of helping disabled Veterans through outdoor experiences that include working with horses.
- Charles Cunningham, Cheyenne, Wyoming shares that getting outdoors whether your hunting or fishing or just experiencing the quiet can make a difference in your life.
- Kevin Byrne, Portland, Oregon has added several NEW stories and has over 35 stories that address his disease with a mantra of Never Stop…Never Quit.
- Judy Overholt, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina shares that competing in sporting events is not so much about winning but coming together with others and being the best you can be at that moment.
- Dave Anderson, Lake Shore, MN provides an update to living with MS and shares that an outside perspective can help restart future planning.
- David Anderson, Lake Shore, Minnesota shares that looking forward seems to be a therapeutic endeavor to help live in the present.
- Nolan "Scott" Bates, Muskogee, Oklahoma shares his passion for designing and creating beautiful artwork that inspires.
- Lindsay Stearns, Everett, Washington shares how she has learned to breathe in life and continue.
- "Jersey" Jeanne' Goldy-Sanitate, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware outlines her life as an athlete to adaptive athlete--sports has changed her life.
- Marie Iacono and Harry Grunwell, Marriottsville, Maryland share that it is important to take care of each other no matter the sacrifice.
- Alan Campbell, Alexandria, Virginia writes about overcoming emotional challenges through the help of family.
- Ivan Nance, Juneau, Alaska writes about how he faces MS with his family's help.
- Rex Stephens, Winston, Oregon writes that it is important to stay as active as you can.
- Mary Stoll, Whidbey Island, Washington counts her blessings for all that she had in her life.
Alicia Sloan, MSCOE - West, Social Worker/Research Coordinator, VA Puget Sound, shares her challenges of riding in the Bike MS Ride with other MS providers and friends with MS.