Office of Academic Affiliations
Expanding GME Resident positions
The Veterans Health Administration (VHA) takes pride in providing the largest education and training enterprise for health professionals in the Nation, but we can't do it without the productive and vibrant relationships we share with our valued academic affiliate residency sponsors. VA offers physician residents exposure to the largest integrated health care delivery system in the United States with seamless electronic health records and unique learning opportunities and specialties, all in service to our Nation's Veterans. We are committed to remaining the Nation's premier graduate medical education (GME) partner.
VACAA allows VA to expand its GME portfolio by up to 1,500 positions over five years with a focus on primary care, mental health, and areas of physician shortages. To meet this goal, we are working to grow existing partnerships and establish partnerships with new residency sponsors.
Take Advantage of the VACAA opportunity
VA is working to make the partnership process easier than ever and VACAA creates a perfect opportunity for you to join our VA GME residency sponsor network.
OAA is your VA GME Helpline and is ready to work with you one-on-one to provide timely consultative services and personalized guidance to help you navigate through the entire VA GME process, from partnership building with VA to sending your physician residents to learn with us.
Why Partner with VA?
- Serve our Nation's Veterans and Understand Military Service
- Physician residents provide care directly to Veterans for a gratifying training experience which builds understanding of military service
- Physician residents expand VA’s clinical capacity, allowing VA patients to be seen more quickly
- High Quality Training
- VA is the nation's premier GME partner, affiliated with the vast majority of medical schools across the country
- VA has been teaching and training health professionals for nearly 70 years
- Distinctive Education Opportunity
- VA provides care in a team-based, patient centered, interprofessional work environment, which models the future of health care delivery
- VA offers physician residents exposure to integrated electronic health records, telehealth services, clinical e-messaging, and other innovative technologies for care
Have Questions about VACAA funding? Check out our funding fact sheet here.
If you’re interested in partnering with VA in GME:
- Call OAA’s VA GME Helpline at 1-202-461-9490
- Email our VA GME Helpline
|Kathleen A. Klink, MD, FAAFP
Edward T. Bope, MD, FAAFP
Anthony P. Albanese, MD
Mark Zunk, RN
|Director, Health Professions Education
VACAA Project Manager