Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Office of Research Oversight

Quick Links
Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My healthevet badge

VA Research Concerns

How to file a complaint or concern about VA RESEARCH

The Veterans Health Administration (VHA) Office of Research Oversight (ORO) provides oversight of VA research compliance with VA and other Federal requirements pertaining to human research subject protections, laboratory animal welfare, research safety, research laboratory security, research information security, and VA medical facility responses to alleged fabrication, falsification, or plagiarism. In response to the receipt of a concern of noncompliance involving one or more of these areas, ORO may investigate the matter or refer it for investigation by the local VA medical facility where the research that is the subject of the concern was conducted. There are several avenues to file a complaint or concern about VA research.

Contact the VA medical facility:
Concerns related to VA research can often be resolved by contacting the VA medical facility conducting the research. The contact information for VA medical facilities is found here: Facilities by State. Specific allegations related to fabrication, falsification, or plagiarism (“research misconduct”) should be submitted to the Research Integrity Officer (RIO) at the VA medical facility conducting the research.

When direct contact with the medical center is not desired, complaints or concerns related to VA RESEARCH may be directed to ORO:

If you would like to speak with someone directly about a concern or complaint about VA RESEARCH, please call 202-632-7620 to speak with an ORO staff member.

If you would prefer to contact ORO by email, please write to

If you would like to file a complaint anonymously about VA RESEARCH, please call 1-833-986-1323 and leave a message. Please provide as much information as possible when calling the VA RESEARCH complaint line. The ORO point-of-contact may not be able to follow-up effectively without sufficient information. ORO does its best to honor the confidentiality of persons who file complaints or concerns about VA research.

For VA HEALTHCARE questions or concerns, please call 1-800-MyVA411 (800-698-2411)