Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Office of Research Oversight


Quick Links

Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My healthevet badge

How to file a complaint about VA research

Concerns related to VA research can often be resolved by contacting the VA Medical Center conducting the research.

When direct contact with the Medical Center is not desired, concerns related to the protection of human research subjects may be directed to ORO by contacting the Human Research Protection Program at  Concerns related to research information security, research safety and security, or laboratory animal welfare should be directed to the group responsible for oversight in those areas by emailing the relevant group (click here).

Specific allegations related to fabrication, falsification, or plagiarism (“research misconduct”) should be presented to the Research Integrity Officer (RIO) at the VA Medical Center conducting the research.  When direct contact with the Medical Center is not desired, research misconduct allegations may be directed to ORO Central Office at 202-632-4204.  Click here for more information on research misconduct.

ORO does its best to honor the confidentiality of persons who file complaints about VA research.

Persons who do not wish to identify themselves and would rather remain anonymous may call ORO’s toll-free RESEARCH concern line at 1-833-986-1323.  Please provide as much information as possible when calling the RESEARCH concern line.  ORO may not be able to follow-up effectively without sufficient information.

For VA HEALTHCARE questions or concerns, please call 1-800-MyVA411 (1-800-698-2411).