VHA Pain Management
For Providers - Clinical Tools
- Assessing Pain in the Patient with Impaired Communication.
- The consensus statement from the VHA National Pain Management Strategy Coordinating Committee.
- CPRS Pain Assessment and Reassessment Template
- Is available from your facility Clinical Applications Coordinator. There are a growing number of users in VHA. It is explicitly recommended for adoption in the soon-to-be-released VHA Pain Management Directive that strongly recommends the use of a standardized tool for pain assessment beyond pain screening with the 010 pain numeric rating scale. This link is a Word document that was developed as an educational resource.
- International Classification of Headache Disorders *
- The 2nd edition of the hierarchical nosology designed for both clinical practice and research. https://www.ichd-3.org/
- The VHA Pain Outcomes Toolkit
- Is designed to assist healthcare providers and facilities to devise methods and implement processes to measure pain treatment outcomes.
- Pain Drawing.
- This simple version of the Pain Drawing Scale may be used by patients to indicate the location and quality of their pain conditions.
- Pain Numeric Rating Scale (NRS)
- This version of the Pain NRS assesses current, usual, least, and worst pain intensity on a 0 to 10 scale.
- Defense and Veterans Pain Rating Scale (DVPRS) Complete Assessment
- Pain Outcomes Questionnaire
- The POQ is an outcomes package consisting of intake, post-treatment, and follow-up questionnaires that was developed to assess several key domains of pain treatment outcomes. The POQ contains six core subscales that assess pain intensity, pain-interference in an activities of daily living (ADLs) and mobility, negative affect, activity diminishment, and pain related fear. To obtain a copy of the questionnaire, please send an email to - Evangelia.Banou@va.gov.