Mobile Apps and Online Tools
You may use these web-based and mobile tools to support your whole health. The list below includes resources developed within the VA as well as publically available resources.
VA web-based and mobile resources:
- PTSD Coach – This app connects users to tools for managing post-traumatic stress symptoms. It supports Service members and Veterans with self-assessments, symptom-tracking capabilities, educational materials and stress coping skills.
- MOVE! Coach – This app is a 19-week weight loss program for Veterans, Service members, their families, and others who want to lose weight. The app helps participants track and receive feedback on their progress with weight, diet and exercise goals.
- Moving Forward – This app allows users to access on-the-go tools and learn problem solving skills to overcome obstacles and deal with stress. While this app was designed for Veterans and Service members, it can be used by anyone.
- Stay Quit Coach – This app provides information about smoking cessation, along with motivational messages, interactive tools and support contacts to help users stay smoke-free and cope with urges to smoke.
- Mindfulness Coach – This app leads the user through steps to learn how to practice mindfulness. Mindfulness means grounding yourself in the present moment. It has been shown to be helpful for reducing stress and helping people cope with unpleasant thoughts and emotions.
Publically available web-based and mobile Complementary and Integrative Health (CIH) resources:
Note: These resources have been identified by the VA Integrative Health Coordinating Center as options for your consideration, but items in this category are not endorsed by VA.
- BioZen - This was developed as a pilot project to study the feasibility of using smartphones to receive signals from biosensor devices and display the information in a usable graphic. The National Center for Telehealth & Technology (T2) is a Department of Defense organization that evaluates new technologies for telemental health. BioZen represents an approach to mobile monitoring of biosensor devices that may be further developed to support future projects.
- EliteHRV - HRV is the best non-invasive measure of the Autonomic Nervous System, the main controller of health and performance functions. HRV is a direct link to your Autonomic Nervous System (ANS) and can therefore be used to gain insights into your nervous system, stress and recovery activity.
- HeartMath - The three-hour H.E.A.R.T. online program, free for veterans, military personnel and their families is presented by professional trainers (both veterans) who provide comprehensive instruction in HeartMath’s research-based self-regulation techniques and technology. Learn to manage emotions, build resilience and improve performance, mental focus and decision-making. The tools taught in H.E.A.R.T. have proven to be effective in helping individuals manage many challenges of transition as well as issues such as poor sleep and hyper-arousal. Veterans tell how HeartMath helped them.