VHA Office of Emergency Management
Comprehensive Emergency Management (CEMP)OEM focuses its attention on comprehensive emergency management. OEM provides support in the form of personnel, finances, materials, and processes during 5 overlaping phases of internal and external disasters and military contingencies:
- Prevention - actions taken to decrease the likelihood that an event or crisis will occur.
- Mitigation - efforts to reduce loss of life and property by lessening the impact of disasters
- Preparedness - development of resources to manage the impacts of hazardous events
- Response - activities to stop the disaster or emergency and its effects
- Recovery - both short and long term restoration of the capabilities impacted by emergencies and disasters.
The Comprehensive Emergency Management Program (CEMP) supports the mission, vision, and strategic goals of the organization to ensure the continuity of patient care, the safety of patients, staff, and resources, and provides for the continuity of hospital operations in the event of a disaster or emergency.
CEMP Program Areas
CEMP includes many individual program areas:
- Continuity of Operations (COOP)
- Deployment Operations
- Disaster Emergency Medical Personnel System (DEMPS)
- Field Program
- Education, Training & Exercise
- Integrated Operations Center (IOC) Watch
- Logistics & Communications
- National Disaster Medical System (NDMS)
- Plans Program
- Quality & Strategic Planning
Download free viewer and reader software to view PDF, video and other file formats.