Veterans Health Information Exchange (VHIE)
The Veterans Health Information Exchange (VHIE), also known as, the Virtual Lifetime Electronic Record (VLER) Health Program. This program allows VA, participating Community Care Providers, and Veterans to securely share certain health information from a Veteran’s health record electronically. This health information data is exchanged through the eHealth Exchange.
Many Veterans see VA and participating community care providers. This can make it difficult for providers to access the records they need to manage a Veteran’s care. By sharing a Veteran’s health information electronically, VA and participating community care providers are better able to coordinate and improve the overall quality of care for our Veterans.
VHIE Health has two tools for sharing health information between VA and trusted community care providers:
- VA Exchange (VLER Health Exchange) is a program to help “Connect Your Docs” by enabling VA and participating community care providers to securely access certain Veteran health information electronically using the eHealth Exchange. The eHealth Exchange is a secure, trusted internet exchange. VA requires a Veteran-signed consent VA Form 10-0485 prior to sharing Veteran health information with participating community care providers over the eHealth Exchange.
- VA Direct Messaging (VLER Direct) allows VA providers to send select information (e.g., referrals) about a Veteran’s health care to a community care provider using a secure tool similar to email.
When Veterans sign VA Form 10-0485, their participating community care providers can securely view certain Veteran health information through the eHealth Exchange. VA health information shared with community care providers includes:
- A list of health problems
- Vital signs
- Chemistry and hematology reports
- Discharge summaries
- Medical history
- Records of physicals
- Procedure results (e.g., X-ray reports)
- Progress notes
VA providers can view similar information from your participating community care providers via the eHealth Exchange.
Signing up is fast, free, and easy! Click here to “Connect Your Docs”.
VA Direct Messaging allows VA providers to send select information (e.g., referrals) about a Veteran’s health care to a participating community care provider, enabling VA clinicians to better coordinate care for the Veteran.
I am a Veteran
It only takes a few minutes to sign up for VA Exchange and simplify your health care.
Click here to “Connect Your Docs”
I am a Community Health Provider