Complementary and Integrative Health
As part of the Whole Health approach, VA incorporates complementary and integrative health (CIH) services alongside conventional care.
VA established the Integrative Health Coordinating Center (IHCC) to:
- Identify and remove barriers to providing CIH across VA.
- Serve as a resource for clinical practices and education for Veterans, clinicians, leadership, and staff.
- Develop policy and guidance to implement CIH.
VA Directive 1137 — Provision of Complementary and Integrative Health (recertified December 2022) establishes national VHA policy regarding the provision of CIH approaches.
VA facilities may provide the required CIH approaches internally, on-site, via telehealth, or in the community through volunteers, community partners or the Community Care Network. The CIH approaches included in the Veterans medical benefits package if deemed appropriate by their care team include:
Approaches for Treatment:
Approaches for Well-Being:
IHCC has reviewed these approaches and found evidence of benefits to Veteran care.
- CIH and Whole Health Research
- HSR&D Cyberseminars (choose complementary and integrative health from the drop down)
Education and Training
- An Introduction to Complementary Approaches
- Whole Health Education
- Guided Imagery Foundations
- Guided Imagery Certification (Coming Soon!)
- Complementary and Integrative Health: Partnering with the VHA
Interested in learning more about the required CIH services and other services that may be available at your facility? Contact your local VA and ask for the Whole Health Point of Contact.