History Information for Portland VA Medical Center
Portland VA Medical Center > History Information
The land for the Portland Campus was donated in 1926 by the regents of the Oregon Medical School (now Oregon Health & Science University) after they received the entire Marquam Hill property from Mrs. C.S. Jackson. The first 15 buildings were completed and dedicated in 1929. A new administration building was added in 1932 and 13 quonset huts were added from 1946 to 1948. A 155 bed tuberculosis hospital was completed in 1949. In 1981, Bldg. T-51 was constructed to move services out of the footprint of the new 490 Bed Replacement Hospital. In 1988, the 490 Bed Replacement Hospital was opened to patients. This has allowed the demolition of all of the old structures with the exception of Bldg. 6 and 16. In 1991, a SkyBridge was constructed connecting the VA to Oregon Health & Science University Hospital. In 1999, a Cancer Research Center was opened.
This VA Medical Center is not on the National Register of Historic Places as a Historic District.
More details are available here https://www.portland.va.gov/about/index.asp