COVID-19 vaccines and testing
Safe care is our mission. VA Eastern Kansas Healthcare System offers the COVID-19 vaccine to ALL Veterans, Veteran spouses, caregivers of Veterans, and CHAMPVA recipients at no cost.
VA Eastern Kansas Health Care currently offers Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson (J&J)/Janssen) COVID-19 vaccine.
If you are experiencing symptoms such as a cough, runny/stuffy nose, fatigue, sore throat, headache, muscle pain, fever or sneezing, do not walk-in for an appointment. The Emergency Department is for emergencies only and is not designed to manage walk-in COVID testing.
Our clinicians are available 24/7 to address your concerns, schedule a virtual appointment with a licensed health care professional in the comfort of your home or wherever you may be, and assist you as needed to get tested for COVID-19.
COVID-19 Vaccine Eligibility
- ALL Veterans – Veterans need not be enrolled in VA health care to receive COVID-19 vaccine
- Spouses of Veterans
- Caregivers of Veterans - For COVID-19 vaccine eligibility, caregiver is defined as a family member or friend who provides care to a Veteran.
- CHAMPVA Benefits Recipients - Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs
Mandatory masking remains in place for all individuals entering our facilities, regardless of vaccine status.
If you remain undecided about the COVID-19 vaccine, click here to learn more about the importance of protecting yourself, family members, and the community.
COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Information
The health and safety or our Veterans and staff remain a top priority for VA. Vaccine remains the best way to protect everyone from serious illness. Protect yourself, your family, and your community by scheduling your appointment today. COVID-19 vaccine has been proven to be effective in diminishing the spread of the virus within our communities.
Veterans are asked to bring their valid VA ID card with them and the CDC Vaccination Card.
Who is eligible for a booster?
Anyone age 18 or older who:
- Completed the Moderna or Pfizer series at least 6 months ago
- Received the Johnson & Johnson single dose at least 2 months ago
VA will continue to offer COVID-19 vaccine and boosters to those authorized under Save Lives Act recipients while supplies last.
Why is a booster important?
COVID-19 vaccine effectiveness fades over time.
- A booster will recharge your body’s ability to protect you from COVID-19!
For more information about the COVID-19 booster, visit CDC.gov.
To receive a COVID-19 booster shot at VA Eastern Kansas Health Care, please contact to schedule an appointment: 1-800-574-8387 , ext. 54453
If you are an enrolled Veteran who received a vaccination outside of the VA, please report it to your primary care team.
NOTE: Mandatory masking remains in place for all individuals entering our facilities, regardless of vaccine status.
COVID-19 Testing | Appointment required
Eastern Kansas VA Health Care System offers COVID-19 testing to Veterans enrolled in VA health care.
Appointments are required. Patience is appreciated while coordinating with staff.
Veterans who have been exposed to COVID 19 and are seeking a test, we request that you wait at least 2 days – following the exposure – to be tested.
Order 4 free at-home COVID-19 tests at COVIDtests.gov, or by calling 1-800-232-0233 (TTY 1-888-720-7489). Order tests now so you have them when you need them. Learn more about COVID-19 testing at VA.
Important Updates to VA Eastern Kansas Visitation Policy
As COVID-19 transmission cases are trending downward across the state, region, nation we are looking to decrease some visitation restrictions while continuing to safeguard the wellbeing of Veterans and the staff who care for them. Please note the following policies which are effective immediately:
- Appointments only - No Walk-ins.
*However, we will not turn away anyone with a behavioral health or urgent medical need.
- Behavioral Health concerns will not be turned away.
- If experiencing a BH crisis upon entry to the medical center, please make it aware to screening staff and /or use the emergency room entrance.
- Visitation is limited to 1 guest for Veteran inpatients except for end-of-life circumstances
for end-of-life, lease contact us at 785-350-3111 (Topeka) or 913-682-2000 (Leavenworth) and press 0, to contact the specific inpatient unit where the Veteran is located in order to coordinate end-of-life visitation.
- For all other inpatient visitation we will closely monitor the downward trend of Omicron and make decisions to allow visitation as it is safe to do so.
- Veterans who require the assistance of a caregiver to attend their Outpatient appointment, are permitted to have one companion.
- “Surgical” masks must be worn inside our facilities
- No cloth masks allowed - No Exceptions. These surgical masks are available at each entry/screening point throughout the medical centers
- Social distancing must be adhered to in our hallways, waiting areas, and elevators.