Skip to Content
Your browser is out of date. To use this website, please update your browser or use a different device.
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Accelerated Payments for High-Technology Programs

Are you enrolled in a high-tech program with the goal of working in a high-tech industry? You may be able to get a lump-sum payment to cover the higher per-month costs for these courses of study. Find out if you can get this benefit.

Can I get this education benefit?

You can get this benefit if you’re an active-duty GI Bill recipient (both degree and non-degree programs qualify) and you meet both of the requirements listed below.

Both of these must be true:

  • You’re a REAP recipient or a Reservist using the Reserve GI Bill while pursuing a non-degree program for 2 years or less, and
  • Your tuition and fees are more than 200% of the monthly amount of educational assistance you would otherwise qualify to get during the certified enrollment period

Exception: You can’t get this benefit under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program, or VEAP.

Who’s covered?


What benefits can I get?

Education benefits in the form of accelerated payments of 60% of tuition and fees for high-cost high-tech programs. We issue an accelerated payment to you instead of the monthly benefits you would otherwise get.

How do I get this benefit?

Ask your school to include your request for accelerated payment when it turns in your enrollment information to us.

You must be enrolled in one of these categories:

  • Life science or physical science
  • Engineering (all fields)
  • Mathematics
  • Engineering and science technology
  • Computer specialties

And you must certify that you intend to look for employment in one of these industries:

  • Biotechnology
  • Life science technologies
  • Optoelectronics
  • Computers and telecommunications
  • Electronics
  • Computer-integrated manufacturing
  • Material design
  • Aerospace
  • Weapons
  • Nuclear technology