Freedom Of Information Act FOIA
VA FOIA Offices are on maximum telework Due to the COVID-19. We are still accepting your hard copy FOIA and Privacy Act (PA) request via mail, “BUT” we strongly encourage submitting your request electronically for faster processing.
Filing your electronic FOIA requests – file your “new” request with ease by selecting one of the approved links. If you are filing an Appeal follow the instructions under the “How To” section “Appeal a FOIA Request.”
Electronic Status inquiries/concerns – Please select the appropriate link provided:
- Inquires for VACO FOIA Services
- Inquires for VHA, VBA, NCA can be found on the FOIA Request page. (Note: Make the appropriate selection to review the Administration’s contact information)
What is The Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA)?
FOIA is your way of acquiring transparency to records and files maintained by a federal agency. That’s right! You have direct access to obtain information regarding the activities of Federal agencies by simply filing a FOIA request. But you must keep in mind, “all records” maintained by a federal agency are not releasable. FOIA has nine exemption codes to include a host of statue codes federal agencies can use to withhold records that are protected from release. For more information on protected records please visit our Regulations and Policies link below.
Learn more about VA FOIA and our obligation to serving you by selecting the helpful links provided on our site. For FAQ, visit our site NOW!
VA FOIA is committed to your FOIA requirements:
- Provide Program Oversight
- Ensure your FOIA requests are received, date stamped, and acknowledged by our team
- Provide transparency by law at the highest level possible
- Provide responsive records quick and efficient with password protection capability
- Provide guidance through the FOIA Liaison
- Ensure VA policies comply with Federal Regulatory Requirements and Legislative mandates
- Promote policies throughout each Administration (VHA, VBA, and NCA) – Chartered members meet to discuss policy, training, and best practices for compliance to serve you best.
- Ensure all VA FOIA releases protect your privacy and the privacy rights of others.
Regulations and Policies
|VA Directive 6213||Records and Information Management - 09/15/21|
|VA Handbook 6300.3||Procedures for Implementing the FOIA 01/12/98|
|CFR 38 Part 1 & 2||Release of Information from DVA Records|
|CFR 1.460 - 1.474||Release of Information from DVA Records (Drug Abuse)|
|CFR 1.475 - 1.484||Disclosures With Patient Consent|
|CFR 1.485 - 1.489||Disclosures Without Patient Consent|
|CFR 1.490 - 1.499||Court Orders Authorizing Disclosures and Use|
|CFR 1.500 - 1.527||Release of Information from DVA Claimant Records|
|CFR 1.575 - 1.584||Safeguarding Personal Information in DVA Records|
|V03208266 Memo SI Notification Process||Memo SI Notification Process|
|FOIA Redaction Memo||FOIA Redaction Memo|