Introduction - Health Care Benefits Overview
This guide is designed to provide Veterans and their families with the information they need to understand VA’s health care system – eligibility requirements, health benefits and services available to help Veterans and copayments that certain Veterans may be charged.
New Topics and Benefits!
Stay Connected with VA – End of this section
- Veterans Can Apply for Enrollment by Telephone – VA Health Care Enrollment and Eligibility
- Seamless Care for Traveling Veterans – Basic Eligibility for VA Health Care
- Medication Copay Update – Copayments
- VA Dental Insurance Program – Medical Benefits Package
- Veterans Crisis Line – Medical Benefits Package
- Free Transportation to VA Appointments – Medical Benefits Package
- Do I Declare Health Care Coverage to IRS? – Frequently Asked Questions
This book is not intended to provide information on all of the health benefits and services offered by VA. Additional information is available at the following resources:
- Toll-free at 1-877-222-VETS (8387) Monday - Friday between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. ET
- Your local VA health care facility's Enrollment Office
Benefits of Enrolling
Veterans have a comprehensive medical benefits package (see Medical Benefits Package for the complete list of medical benefits VA offers). VA offers a variety of health care services from basic primary care to nursing home care for eligible Veterans (see “Available Long-Term Care Services” in Medical Benefits Package). Enrollment in the VA health care system provides Veterans with the promise that comprehensive health care services will be available when and where they are needed.
In addition to the assurance that services will be available, enrolled Veterans welcome not having to repeat the application process — regardless of where they seek their care or how often. VA is America’s largest integrated health care system, serving more than 8 million Veterans each year.
Need more reasons to enroll?
- You don’t need to take additional steps to meet the health care law coverage standards.
- Medical care rated among the best in the U.S.
- Immediate benefits of health care coverage. Veterans can apply for VA health care enrollment at any time.
- No enrollment fee, monthly premiums or deductibles. Most Veterans have no out-of-pocket costs. Some Veterans may have to pay small copays for health care or prescription drugs.
- More than 1,700 VA medical facilities available to get your care. This means your coverage can go with you if you travel or move.
- Freedom to use other plans with your VA health care, including Medicare, Medicaid, TRICARE or private insurance.
- Enrolled Veterans who are travelling or spending time away from their preferred facility may obtain care at any VA health care facility across the country without having to reapply.
- Under VA’s medical benefits package, the same medical benefits are generally available to all enrolled Veterans.
Medical Care for Service-Connected Veterans Abroad
Veterans with a VA-rated service-connected condition may receive treatment for that condition even in a foreign country (see “Health Benefits for Service-Connected Conditions are Never Out of Reach” in Medical Benefits Package).
High Quality Care
VA is committed to providing the high quality, effective health care Veterans have earned and deserve. We have established a record of safe, exceptional care that is consistently recognized by independent reviews, organizations and experts. VA is recognized as a leader in improving the quality of health by leveraging new technologies, research and relationships with other health care organizations.
For more information visit www.va.gov/qualityofcare/
Share your email address with VA to receive information on VA benefits and services delivered right to your inbox! Visit the “Stay Connected with VA” box located on VA’s home page at www.va.gov and enter your email address to start receiving information about VA benefits.