Healthcare Equality Index
The Healthcare Equality Index (HEI) recognizes healthcare facilities that demonstrate equitable treatment and inclusion of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Questioning (LGBTQ) patients, visitors, and employees in the following areas:
- Patient non-discrimination
- Equal visitation
- Employment non-discrimination
- Training in LGBTQ patient centered care
- Patient services and support
- Employee benefits and policies
- Transgender inclusive health insurance
- Patient & community engagement
Healthcare facilities that receive a score of 100 on the benchmarking tool are designated as a "Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality." Facilities with a score of 80 to 95 are designated as a "Top Performer."
In 2019, 58 VA medical centers were designated as a Leader, and 26 were designated as a Top Performer, in LGBT Healthcare Equality.
Resources for LGBT Veterans, employees, and their families
- VHA Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) Veteran Care
- VA Office of Diversity and Inclusion Special Emphasis Program for LGBT VA Employees
- VA Facilities - LGBT Programs Websites
- VA LGBT Policies
- LGBT Veteran Trainings
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Healthcare Equality Index
- Virginia Ashby Sharpe and Uchenna S. Uchendu. Ensuring Appropriate Care of LGBT Veterans in the Veterans Health Administration. Hastings Center Report 44, no. 5 (2014): S53-S55.
- OHE Transgender Research