VA Homeless Programs
Disaster Assistance Resources for Veterans
During natural disasters, such as Hurricane Ida, Veterans and their families who are experiencing or at risk of homelessness are among the most vulnerable. VA has resources to help.
To protect Veterans and employees, VA is following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s recommendations for homelessness services systems and providers.
Resources for Veterans in Crisis: Suicide and Homelessness Prevention
Preventing suicide and homelessness among Veterans are two of VA’s top priorities. Join the Facebook Live event on September 21 at 3:30 p.m. ET to hear from experts and how you can help.
What Veterans Who Are Homeless or At Risk of Homelessness Should do for Help
Veterans who are homeless or at imminent risk of homelessness are strongly encouraged to contact the National Call Center for Homeless Veterans at (877) 4AID-VET (877-424-3838) for assistance. If Veterans do not have access to a phone or the internet, only then are they to visit their closest VA medical center without calling in advance. VA also urges Veterans who are not homeless or at risk of homelessness to contact their VA medical center before visiting for any reason. These steps are necessary to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
No Veteran Should Be Without a Place to Call Home
VA is committed to ending homelessness among Veterans. Our focus is threefold:
- Conducting coordinated outreach to proactively seek out Veterans in need of assistance.
- Connecting homeless and at-risk Veterans with housing solutions, health care, community employment services and other required supports.
- Collaborating with federal, state and local agencies; employers; housing providers, faith-based and community nonprofits; and others to expand employment and affordable housing options for Veterans exiting homelessness.
- HUD-VASH: Providing Safe Housing, Quality Health Care for Veterans
YouTube | Posted September 22, 2021
- HUD Awards $4.4 Million to Tribes to Provide Permanent Homes for Native Americans
va.gov | Posted September 22, 2021
- The Biden Administration Pushes Cities to Get Serious About Homelessness
Bloomberg City Lab | Posted September 20, 2021
- Veterans who are homeless or at imminent risk of becoming homeless can call or visit their local VA Medical Center or Community Resource and Referral Center where VA staff are ready to help.
- Veterans and their families may also call 1-877-4AID-VET (1-877-424-3838) to access VA services.
- Explore www.va.gov/homeless to learn about VA programs for Veterans who are homeless and share that information with others.
- Work with VA to prevent and end homelessness among Veterans in your community. Learn how you can help by visiting www.va.gov/homeless/stakeholders.asp.
- Download posters, brochures, and other materials to reach out to Veterans and help VA end homelessness.