Education and Dissemination
The Education and Dissemination Core provides education, technical assistance, and consultation to enhance and improve the delivery of services to homeless Veterans.
The Education Core works with the Homeless Programs Office (HPO) Homeless Learning Advisory Council (HLAC) to coordinate national education for VA staff working with homeless or at-risk populations. Additionally, the Core collaborates with VHA Employee Education Service (EES) and HPO staff to assess national educational needs and develop curriculum to meet those needs. Currently, the Education Core is working with EES, HPO staff, Network Homeless Coordinators, and homeless program managers to develop national population-specific competencies for those VA staff who work with homeless Veterans.
Through the development and dissemination of program-specific technical assistance, the Education Core has facilitated the implementation of innovative program design models that have been operationalized and transitioned to permanent status including: Safe Havens, Grant and Per Diem-Low Demand programs and Community Resource and Referral Centers (CRRCs).
In Fiscal Year (FY) 2016, to determine education needs, the Education Core, in collaboration with HPO and EES, developed the National Homeless or at-risk for Homelessness Knowledge Self-Assessment Survey and distributed it nationally to all VA staff working with homeless Veteran populations. As a result of this survey, the Education Core developed a national education curriculum for FY 2017 to meet the identified needs, called the FY2017 National Education Series.
* FY2017 National Education Series
Specific training initiatives and materials, including site- and program-specific training and technical assistance, are listed below with accompanying links:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) Training
- Community Integration Specialist (CIS) Training
- Disaster Preparedness to Promote Community Resilience: Information and Tools for Homeless Service Providers and Disaster Professionals
- Trauma-Informed Care (TIC): Awareness and Education in Homeless Programs – Fact Sheet
- Permanent Supportive Housing Resource Guide
- Housing Navigator Toolkit
- Homeless Evidence and Research Synthesis (HERS)
- HERS: Aging and the Community - Implications for the Field
- Treatment Manuals
- Getting to Outcomes (GTO) in Services for Homeless Veterans
- MISSION-VET Treatment Manual and Consumer Workbook
- The Veteran Supported Education Treatment Manual (VetSEd)
- Selected Technical Assistance (TA) Videos
- Resources, Information, and Materials
- Homeless Reports: AHAR, CHALENG, HIC, PIT
- Resource Guides
- White Papers
- Past Virtual Conferences and Webinars Series
- VA Pulse page: Education and Training within VHA's Homeless Program Office (Internal to VA)
- Trainings & Education Calendar (Internal to VA)
*To search the entire VA.gov site, please use the search bar in the upper right corner of the webpage