Office of Intergovernmental Affairs
VA and NASDVA Renew Partnership for Vets
On February 22, 2016 Secretary Bob McDonald signed a renewed memorandum of agreement with NASDVA. VA and NASDVA represent the largest and second largest providers of beneifts and services to Veterans.
Veterans Crisis Line: Confidential help for Vets
The Veterans Crisis Line is open 24/7/365 to assist Veterans and family members.
- Call 1-800-273-8255 (Press 1)
- Text at 838255, or
- Chat online
The Office of Intergovernmental Affairs (IGA) serves as the Department's liaison in all intergovernmental affairs matters and is the primary point of contact with federal, state, local, American Indian, and Native Alaskan Government officials. The mission of IGA is to coordinate VA's participation in intergovernmental affairs initiatives, including White House-sponsored activities, and assess the issues and concerns of state, local, and Tribal officials and the impact of VA's action on their areas of jurisdiction. The office also facilitates continuous and bilateral communications between state and Tribal governments and VA to gain early knowledge of their actions, concerns, issues, and supporting programs.
- Serves as the primary contact with the White House, other Federal agencies, and state and local government officials on projects affecting VA initiatives.
- Acts as the central contact point for the State and Local Government Veterans Officials.
- Coordinates with other federal agencies in developing programs and subject matter exchanges for representatives of foreign governments concerning veteran issues.
- Organizes with foreign governments all international commemorative events such as the anniversary of foreign wars, battles, and official recognition by foreign governments of our veterans.
- Consults with American Indian and Alaska Native tribal governments to develop partnerships that enhance access to services and benefits by Veterans and their families.
- Enhances government-to-government relations with American Indian and Alaska Native tribal governments.
VA Resources for States
- VA State Cemeteries Grants Program
- VA State Home Per Diem Program
- State Reports - Summaries of VA expenditure, VA facilities, and Veteran population
State and County Associations
- National Association of State Directors of Veterans Affairs (NASDVA)
- National Association of State Veterans Homes (NASVH)
- National Association of County Veterans Service Officers (NACVSO)
- National Governors Association (NGA)
- National Conference of State Legislators
- National Association of Counties (NACo)
- National Foundation for Women Legislators
- American Legislative Exchange Council
- U.S. Conference of Mayors
- Library of Congress-State & Local Governments