Navigation, Advocacy, and Community Engagement (NACE)
MyVA Community Model
The MyVA Communities model enables Veteran advocates, service providers, Veterans, and stakeholders to have a voice in identifying their community goals and work to resolve issues at the local level to improve service delivery for Veterans, Service members, and their families.
Community involvement is key to the success of the MyVA transformation effort. As a result, VA leaders have begun participating more actively in community-based efforts to maximize the collective impact of local services, stakeholders, and federal/state agencies working together to improve Veteran outcomes.
Two paths have emerged in communities across the country. In some communities, VA leaders have joined or increased their participation in existing community collaborative groups. In other communities, the MyVA Communities model provides a supportive framework for community leaders to coordinate locally with VA leaders to develop new community Veterans engagement boards. VA is appreciative of those community leaders around the country who have been so active and we look forward to strengthening our collaborations and collective impact.
Access our interactive map to find out where a community collaborative group or Veterans engagement board exists in your area.
To bring together local resources and advocates to improve outcomes for Veterans, transitioning Service members, and their families.
To enable Veterans to easily identify and reach resources available to them, voice their opinions, and provide valuable input.
To resolve concerns at the local level and improve service delivery methods.
- Open to all Veterans, Service members, their families, stakeholders, resources, advocates and existing community engagements/efforts
- Establish a collaborative network within the community and provide the opportunity to connect with other MyVA Communities
- Conduct public forums to provide open lines of communication and opportunities to collaborate
- Public forums will be held in geographically diverse locations to encourage broad participation
- Focused on local issues identified by the community
- Guided by a community veterans engagement board that understand the issues and is actively engaged in them
- Locally-led by communities to reflect their unique characteristics and populations
- Allow for customization to meet local needs
- Connecting and leveraging local resources and capabilities to maximize impact and improve Veteran outcomes
- VA provides an integrated presence with representation from all three administrations
A playbook and other tools are available to VA and community leaders that provide a model framework and philosophy for sparking these community movements.
- Understanding the Model
- MyVA Community Playbook Portrait
- MyVA Communities Business Card Template
- MyVA Communities Overview
- MyVA Communities Frequently Asked Questions
- MyVA Communities Name Plate for Events Template
- MyVA Communities Potential Members
- MyVA Community Sample Charter
- MyVA Community Sample Project Plan
- Operating Framework for Board Members and Co-Chairs
- MyVA Community Public Forum Planning Guide
- MyVA Community Public Forum Best Practices
- Community Veterans Engagement Board (CVEB) Event Attendee Evaluation
- CVEB Events and After Action Report Tool
- CVEB Survey Instrument and Methods
- Data Resource Guide
- 10 Ways to End and Prevent Homelessness
- Homeless Veterans Outreach Toolbox
- Medical-Legal Partnerships and Community Engagement
- Mental Health - Community Provider Toolkit
- Post 911 Veteran Organizations
- Traditional Veteran Organizations
- Understanding Public/Private Partnerships
- VA Cemetery FAQs
- Veterans Journey Map
- Veterans Journey Map (Blank)
Thanks for joining the first ever MyVA Communities E-Summit held on September 9, 2016!
If you missed it, please watch the recorded broadcasts and view the brief slide deck used during the event:
Local communities can Tweet #CVEB to continue the message of local community collaboration and working together to make a difference in the lives of Veterans, Service members, and their families.
Check out the VAantage Point Blog on the MyVA Communities E-Summit and how CVEBs are making an impact!
Need more information and want to find out more on existing communities or how to adopt the model in your community? Please email MyVACommunities@va.gov.