Office of Academic Affiliations
Affiliation Agreements and Resources
Affiliation Agreements govern the relationship between the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), local medical centers, and academic institutions that offer clinical training programs. The academic affiliates accept primary responsibility for the integrated education programs conducted with VA, while the local VA medical center retains full responsibility for the care of VA patients and administration of its health care system.
Why Partner with VA?
Serve our nation's Veterans and understand military service
- Health Professions Trainees (HPTs) provide care directly to Veterans for a gratifying training experience that builds understanding of military service.
- HPTs expand VA’s clinical capacity, allowing VA patients to be seen more quickly.
High quality training
- VA is the nation's premier GME partner, affiliated with medical schools across the country.
- VA has been teaching and training health professionals for 75 years.
- VA provides training to future health professionals in over 40 disciplines including Occupational Therapy, Social Work, Psychology and Nursing to name a few.
Distinctive education opportunity
- VA provides care in a team-based, patient-centered, interprofessional work environment, which models the future of health care delivery.
- VA offers physician residents exposure to integrated electronic health records, telehealth services, clinical e-messaging, and other innovative technologies for care.
Each year, approximately 120,000 HPTs receive clinical training in VA facilities through academic affiliations with over 1,800 educational institutions, including 97% of the nation’s medical schools. Available programs include:
- Medical and Dental Education
- Nursing Education
- Associated Health Education
- Advanced Fellowships
If your institution is interested in learning more about affiliation agreements, please contact OAA at Yolanda.Seward@va.gov.
Trainee Qualifications and Credentials Verification Letter (TQCVL)
Each Health Professions Trainee (HPT) must be listed on a Trainee Qualifications and Credentials Verification Letter (TQCVL) by the Program Director (VA or non-VA) before participating in training at a VA facility.