Frequently Asked Questions - Office of Academic Affiliations
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Office of Academic Affiliations


Quick Links

Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My healthevet badge

Frequently Asked Questions

Trainee Satsifaction Survey (TSS): FAQs

Who should take the survey?

All clinical trainees and residents who have completed their rotation at VA and whose most recent clinical training experience occurred on or after July 1, of the current Academic Year.

How long is the survey open?

The survey is open 11 months of the year. It closes the end of July for data extraction and updates.

I took the survey a few months ago and want to take it again. Is that okay?

In a given Academic Year (AY), the survey should be taken once and only after your last rotation at the VA. Also if a trainee will have rotations in VA that spans multiple AYs (such as Physician Residents) they SHOULD take the TSS again for each academic year.

Trainee Application: FAQs

How do I sign up for a VA clinical training program?

Contact the training coordinator at your medical school, college or university to see if they have an affiliation with VA in your clinical area of interest. You must be enrolled in an accredited clinical training program in a school that is affiliated with the VA in order receive any clinical training at VA.

Does the VA require an Affiliation Agreement for an unpaid student to simply observe at a VA?

Yes. The Affiliation Agreement specifies responsibilities of both VA and the school and affords important legal protections to both, as well as to the trainee.

However, once signed, the Affiliation Agreement remains in effect until one party terminates it, so there would be no need to repeat it each year or for each instance.

I am an international medical graduate(MD). I have completed my USMLE exams for ECFMG certificate and I would like to volunteer at one of the VA hospital as an extern.

Our office does not handle such rotations. You would have to make contact with the appropriate service chief or associate chief of staff for education at the VA nearest to where you live. That facility may or may not allow such rotations, which we call "observer" rotations. It is up to their discretion and local policy as to whether or not they will accept your proposal. You may also wish to try any of the affiliated medical centers with which the VA is affiliated.