Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.
Attention A T users. To access the combo box on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Press the alt key and then the down arrow. 2. Use the up and down arrows to navigate this combo box. 3. Press enter on the item you wish to view. This will take you to the page listed.
Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My healthevet badge

Office of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs


Chapter 11 Transition Assistance

Federal Benefits for Veterans, Dependents and Survivors

Joint Transition Assistance

The Departments of Veterans Affairs, Defense, and Labor re- launched a new and improved website for wounded warriors – the National Resource Directory (NRD). This directory ( provides access to thousands of services and resources at the national, state and local levels to support recovery, rehabilitation and community reintegration. The NRD is a comprehensive online tool available nationwide for wounded, ill and injured Servicemembers, Veterans and their families. The NRD includes extensive information for Veterans seeking resources on VA benefits such as disability benefits, pensions for Veterans and their families, VA health care insurance and the GI Bill. The NRD’s design and interface is simple, easy-to-navigate and intended to answer the needs of a broad audience of users within the military, Veteran and caregiver communities.

Transition from Military to VA

VA has personnel stationed at major military hospitals to help seriously injured Servicemembers returning from Operations Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, and New Dawn (OEF/OIF/ OND) as they transition from military to civilian life. OEF/OIF/OND Servicemembers who have questions about VA benefits or need assistance in filing a VA claim or accessing services can contact the nearest VA office or call 1-800-827-1000.


The eBenefits portal ( provides Servicemembers, Veterans, their families, and caregivers with self- service access to benefit applications, benefits information, and access to personal information such as official military personnel file documents. The portal provides two main services:

  1. it catalogs links to information on other websites about military and Veteran benefits,
  2. and it provides a personalized workspace called My Dashboard, which gives quick access to all the online tools currently integrated into eBenefits.

Transition Assistance Program

This consists of comprehensive workshops at military installations designed to assist Servicemembers as they transition from military to civilian life. The program includes job search, employment and training information, as well as VA benefits information for Servicemembers who are within 18 months of separation or retirement. VA Benefit Briefings are comprised of two briefings focusing on education, benefits, and VA health care and disability compensation. Servicemembers can sign up for one-on-one appointments with a VA representative. Interested Servicemembers should contact their local TAP Manager to sign up for this program.

VOW to Hire Heroes Act

Improving the Transition Assistance Program (TAP): The VOW to Hire Heroes Act of 2011 (“the Act”) made TAP, including attendance at VA Benefit Briefings, mandatory for most Servicemembers transitioning to civilian status, upgraded career counseling options, and tailored TAP for the 21st Century job market.

Facilitating Seamless Transition

The Act allows Servicemembers to begin the federal employment process prior to separation or retirement from military service. This allows a truly seamless transition from the military to jobs at VA, Department of Homeland Security, and the many other federal agencies seeking to hire Veterans.

Expanding Education and Training

The Act provides nearly 100,000 unemployed Veterans of past eras and wars with up to one year of assistance (equal to the full-time payment rate under the Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty program)to qualify for jobs in high-demand sectors. It also provides disabled Veterans up to one year of additional Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment benefits.

Translating Military Skills and Training

The Act requires the Department of Labor take a hard look at military skills and training equivalencies that are transferrable to the civilian sector, and make it easier to obtain licenses and certifications.

Veterans Tax Credits

The Act provides tax credits for hiring Veterans and disabled Veterans who are out of work

The inTransition

Servicemembers and Veterans may receive assistance from the inTransition Program when they are receiving mental health treatment and are making transitions from military service, location or a health care system. This program provides access to transitional support, motivation, and healthy lifestyle assistance and advice from qualified coaches through the toll-free telephone number 1-800-424- 7877. For more information about the inTransition Program, please log onto

Pre-Discharge Program

The Pre-Discharge Program is a joint VA and DoD program that affords Servicemembers the opportunity to file claims for disability compensation and other benefits up to 180 days prior to separation or retirement. The two primary components of the Pre-Discharge Program, Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD) and Quick Start, may be utilized by separating and retiring Servicemembers on active duty, including members of the Coast Guard, and members of the National Guard and Reserves (activated under Titles 10 or 32) in CONUS and some overseas locations. BDD is offered to accelerate receipt of VA disability benefits after release or discharge from active duty.

To participate in the BDD program, Servicemembers must:

  1. Have at least 60 days, but not more than 180 days, remaining on active duty.
  2. Have a known date of separation or retirement.
  3. Provide VA with a complete copy of service treatment records for the current period of service.
  4. Be available to complete all necessary examinations prior to leaving the point of separation.

Quick Start is offered to Servicemembers who have less than 60 days remaining on active duty or are unable to complete the necessary examinations prior to leaving the point of separation. To participate in the Quick Start Program, Servicemembers must:

  1. Have at least one day remaining on active duty.
  2. Have a known date of separation or retirement.
  3. Provide VA with a complete copy of service treatment records, for the current period of service.

Servicemembers should contact the local Transition Assistance Office or Army Career Alumni Program Center to schedule appointments to attend VA benefits briefings and learn how to initiate a pre-discharge claim. Servicemembers can obtain more information by calling VA toll-free at 1-800-827-1000 or by visiting

Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES)

The Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES) is a joint VA and DoD program designed to improve the process for Servicemembers who face potential medical discharges. IDES participants are referred into the program by the respective service departments when an injury or disability calls into question the member’s ability to continue serving.

IDES promotes efficiency and consistency by utilizing a single set of disability examinations and a single disability rating. Examinations and ratings completed in IDES meet the requirements of both VA and DoD and are used by both Departments in their respective disability determinations.

IDES serves to provide timely, accurate and fair determinations regarding Servicemembers’ fitness for continued military service and entitlement to military disability benefits, as well as entitlement to VA Compensation. Further, since processing is initiated while the Servicemember is still serving on active duty, IDES allows the expeditious payment of VA benefits following the member’s separation from service.

Federal Recovery Coordination Program

The Federal Recovery Coordination Program (FRCP), a joint program of DoD and VA, helps coordinate and access federal, state and local programs, benefits and services for seriously wounded, ill, and injured Servicemembers, and their families through recovery, rehabilitation, and reintegration into the community.

Federal Recovery Coordinators (FRCs) have the delegated authority for oversight and coordination of the clinical and non-clinical care identified in each client’s Federal Individual Recovery Plan (FIRP). Working with a variety of case managers, FRCs assist their clients in reaching their FIRP goals. FRCs remain with their clients as long as they are needed regardless of the client’s location, duty or health status. In doing so, they often serve as the central point of contact and provide transition support for their clients.

Military Services Provide Pre-Separation Counseling Servicemembers may receive pre-separation counseling 24 months prior to retirement or 12 months prior to separation from active duty. These sessions present information on education, training, employment assistance, National Guard and Reserve programs, medical benefits, and financial assistance.

Verification of Military Experience and Training (VMET)

The VMET Document, DD Form 2586, helps Servicemembers verify previous experience and training to potential employers, negotiate credits at schools, and obtain certificates or licenses. VMET documents are available only through each military branch’s support office and are intended for Servicemembers who have at least six months of active service. Servicemembers should obtain VMET documents from their Transition Support Office within 12 months of separation or 24 months of retirement.

Transition Bulletin Board

To find business opportunities, a calendar of transition seminars, job fairs, information on Veterans associations, transition services, training and education opportunities, as well as other announcements visit

DoD Transportal

To find locations and phone numbers of all Transition Assistance Offices as well as mini-courses on conducting successful job-search campaigns, writing resumes, using the internet to find a job, and links to job search and recruiting Websites, visit the DoD Transportal at

Education and Career Counseling

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) Program provides education and career counseling services to Servicemembers, Veterans, and certain dependents (U.S.C. Title 38, Section 3697) at no charge. These services provide an opportunity for transitioning Servicemembers and Veterans to receive personalized counseling and support to guide their careers, ensure the most effective use of VA benefits, and achieve their goals. Services include assisting the Servicemember or Veteran with:

  • Career Choice: Understand the best career options based on interests and capabilities;
  • Benefits Coaching: Guidance on the effective use of VA benefits and other resources available to assist in achieving education and career goals; and
  • Personalized Support: Academic or adjustment counseling and personalized support to help remove any barriers to success.


Education and career counseling services are available during the period the individual is on active duty with the armed forces and within 180 days of the estimated date of his or her discharge or release from active duty. The projected discharge must be under conditions other than dishonorable.

Servicemembers are eligible even if they are only considering whether or not they will continue as members of the armed forces. Veterans are eligible if not more than one year has elapsed since the date they were last discharged or released from active duty.

Servicemembers, Veterans, Survivors and dependents who are eligible for VA education benefits may receive education and career counseling at any time during their eligibility period. This service is based on having eligibility for a VA program such as Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill); Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment); Chapter 32 (Veterans Education Assistance Program – VEAP); Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill); Chapter 35 (Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program) for certain spouses and dependent children; Chapter 18 (Spina Bifida Program) for certain dependent children; and Chapter 1606 and 1607 of Title 10.

Servicemembers, Veterans, Survivors and dependents may apply for counseling services using VA Form 28-8832, Application for Counseling. Veterans and Servicemembers may also write a letter expressing a desire for counseling services.

Upon receipt of either type of request for counseling from an eligible individual, an appointment for counseling will be scheduled. Counseling services are provided to eligible persons at no charge.

Veterans’ Workforce Investment Program

Recently separated Veterans and those with service-connected disabilities, significant barriers to employment, or who served on active duty during a period in which a campaign or expedition badge was authorized, can contact the nearest state employment office for employment help through the Veterans Workforce Investment Program. The program may be conducted through state or local public agencies, community organizations or private, nonprofit organizations.

State Employment Services

Veterans can find employment information, education and training opportunities, job counseling, job search workshops, and resume preparation assistance at state Workforce Career or One-Stop Centers. These offices also have specialists to help disabled Veterans find employment.

Unemployment Compensation

Veterans who do not begin civilian employment immediately after leaving military service may receive weekly unemployment compensation for a limited time. The amount and duration of payments are determined by individual states. Apply by contacting the nearest state employment office listed in the local telephone directory.

Veterans Preference for Federal Jobs

Since the time of the Civil War, Veterans of the U.S. armed forces have been given some degree of preference in appointments to federal jobs. Veterans’ preference in its present form comes from the Veterans’ Preference Act of 1944, as amended, and now codified in Title 5, United States Code (U.S.C.). By law, Veterans who are disabled or who served on active duty in the U.S. armed forces during certain specified time periods or in military campaigns are entitled to preference over others when hiring from competitive lists of eligible candidates, and also in retention during a reduction in force (RIF).

To receive preference, a Veteran must have been discharged or released from active duty in the U.S. armed forces under honorable conditions (honorable or general discharge). Preference is also provided for certain widows and widowers of deceased Veterans who died in service, spouses of service-connected disabled Veterans, and mothers of Veterans who died under honorable conditions on active duty or have permanent and total service-connected disabilities. For each of these preferences, there are specific criteria that must be met in order to be eligible to receive the Veterans’ preference.

Recent changes in Title 5 clarify Veterans preference eligibility criteria for National Guard and Reserve members. Veterans eligible for preference include Reservists and National Guard members who served on active duty as defined by Title 38 at any time in the armed forces for a period of more than 180 consecutive days, any part of which occurred during the period beginning on Sept. 11, 2001, and ending on the date prescribed by Presidential proclamation or by law as the last date of OEF/OIF/OND. Reservists and National Guardsmen must have been discharged or released from active duty in the armed forces under honorable conditions.

Another recent change involves Veterans who earned the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal for service in OEF/OIF/OND. Under Title 5, service on active duty in the armed forces during a war or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized, also qualifies for Veterans preference. Any Armed Forces Expeditionary medal or campaign badge qualifies for preference. Medal holders must have served continuously for 24 months or the full period called or ordered to active duty. For additional information, visit the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) website at

In 2011, President Obama signed the VOW (Veterans Opportunity to Work) To Hire Heroes Act. VOW amends Chapter 21 of Title 5, U.S.C. by adding section 2108a, “Treatment of certain individuals as Veterans, disabled Veterans, and preference eligibles.” Section 2108a requires federal agencies to treat active duty Servicemembers as Veterans, disabled Veterans, or preference eligibles for purposes of appointment in the competitive service when these Servicemembers submit a certification of expected discharge or release from active duty under honorable conditions, along with their applications for federal employment. A certification is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the Servicemember is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days from the date the certification is signed.

Veterans’ preference does not require an agency to use any particular appointment process. Agencies can pick candidates from a number of different special hiring authorities or through a variety of different sources. For example, the agency can reinstate a former federal employee, transfer someone from another agency, reassign someone from within the agency, make a selection under merit promotion procedures or through open, competitive exams, or appoint someone noncompetitively under special authority such as a Veterans Readjustment Appointment or special authority for 30 percent or more disabled Veterans. The decision on which hiring authority the agency desires to use rests solely with the agency. When applying for federal jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on their application or resume. Veterans should apply for a federal job by contacting the personnel office at the agency in which they wish to work. For more information, visit for job openings or help creating a federal resume.

Veterans’ Employment Opportunities Act

When an agency accepts applications from outside its own workforce, the Veterans’ Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 allows preference eligible candidates or Veterans to compete for these vacancies under merit promotion procedures. Veterans who are selected are given careeror career-conditional appointments. Veterans are those who have been separated under honorable conditions from the U.S. armed forces with three or more years of continuous active service. For more information, visit or

Veterans’ Recruitment Appointment

Allows federal agencies to appoint eligible Veterans to jobs without competition. These appointments can be converted to career or career-conditional positions after two years of satisfactory work. Veterans should apply directly to the agency where they wish to work. For information,

Small Businesses

VA’s Center for Veterans Enterprise helps Veterans interested in forming or expanding small businesses, and helps VA contracting offices identify Veteran-owned small businesses. For information, write the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (OOVE), 810 Vermont Avenue, N.W., Washington, DC 20420-0001, call toll-free 1-866-584-2344, or visit Like other federal agencies, VA is required to place a portion of its contracts and purchases with small and disadvantaged businesses. VA has a special office to help small and disadvantaged businesses get information on VA acquisition opportunities. For information, write the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (OOSB), 810 Vermont Avenue, N.W., Washington, DC 20420-0001, call toll-free 1-800-949-8387, or visit