Office of Procurement, Acquisition and Logistics (OPAL)
Prime Vendor Division - Pharmaceutical Prime Vendor (PPV) Program
In 1991, the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) transitioned from its historic depot and medical center warehouse system for the acquisition and storage of pharmaceuticals to a prime vendor model. In July 1993, the prime vendor model became the standard for the VA as the Secretary closed existing Depots. The National Contract Service’s Pharmaceutical Prime Vendor utilizes just-in-time acquisition/inventory processes, a proprietary web-ordering system, and provides a myriad of contract reports.
The Pharmaceutical Prime Vendor is an innovative contract method used to provide drugs and other pharmaceuticals to our nation’s and Veterans and other federal Government agencies. The PPV:
- …is a concept of support whereby a primary commercial distributor serves as the provider of a broad range of drugs and pharmaceuticals to the VA and other Government agencies.
- …is mandatory use by all VA ordering activities.
- …is the largest contract within the National Acquisition Center (averaging $74 billion in annual sales).
- …services over 750 customers in the United States, the Philippines, Puerto Rico, Saipan, & the Virgin Islands.
In addition to VA, other Federal Government customers eligible to use VA’s prime vendor contracts are U.S. Public Health Service (Indian Health Service), Bureau of Prisons and the Immigration and Naturalization Service, Health and Human Services and Howard University. Authorized State Veterans Homes that have sharing agreements with VA facilities also are eligible to use the contract.
- Contract 36W79720D0001
We are currently in the option 1 period effective 08/10/2022 through 08/09/2024. The PPV contract has a base performance period of 2 years and 3 option periods of 2 years each for a total of 8 years.
- PPV SF 1449
- Modification P00022 - Contract Option 1 Exercised
- PPV Frequently Asked Questions Updated 08/10/2020
- Complete listing of participants as of 10/27/2022
- Contracting Officer Representative (COR) Training
6555 North State Highway 61
Irving, TX 75039-2402
08/10/2020 — 08/09/2022
Coverage: All Regions
- Appalachians Region (VISNs 6 & 7)
- Bluegrass Region (VISNs 9 & 10)
- CMOPs & HHS Perry Point
- Everglades Region (VISN 8)
- Great Lakes Region (VISNs 11 & 12)
- Heartland Region (VISNs 15 & 16)
- North Region (VISNs 1-3)
- Northeast Region (VISNs 4 & 5)
- Northwest Region (VISNs 19 & 20)
- Puerto Rico
- Southwest Region (VISNs 17 & 18)
- Upper Midwest Region (VISNs 13 & 14)
- West Coast Region (VISNs 21 & 22)
- VA Medical Center Directory