Office of Procurement, Acquisition and Logistics (OPAL)
This page is dedicated to the support of the Logistics Supply Chain which provides burial flags to the issuing office level. Individuals or authorized requestors wishing to apply for a burial flag should refer to the National Cemetery Administration’s (NCA) Burial Flags website for guidance on eligibility and application forms. Postmasters, Funeral Home Directors and VA Offices may use this page for information and guidance on burial flag distribution and support.
The VA Service and Distribution Center (SDC) supplies burial flags to VA facilities and U.S. Post Offices (USPS) throughout the country and around the world. The flags are then issued directly to funeral directors and families of deceased Veterans. Burial flags are provided free of charge to the next of kin of honorably discharged Veterans. Additional information on burial flags and burial benefits is available at the NCA Home Page.
- U.S. Post Offices are the primary Issue Point for all VA supplied Burial Flags free of charge to the next of kin of honorably discharged Veterans.
- VA Regional Offices and Medical Centers are also issue points for Burial Flags as needed. Regional Offices will provide information on VA Benefits.
- The VA SDC/Operations Division maintains inventory control, receiving, quality control, packing and shipping for all burial flags through-out the world and directly supply Regional Offices, VA Medical Centers and National Cemeteries.
Program Guidance for VA Offices
VA Regional Offices and VA Medical Centers will maintain an adequate inventory of flags to support internal requirements. Complete guidance on ordering flags, applicable to the USPS and the VA may be found in SDC Memorandum 796-20-01, Guidance for the Distribution and Replenishment of Burial Flags.
Program Guidance for Post Offices, Funeral Homes and Cemeteries
- Program Guidance for Post Offices
- VA Form 27-2008, Application for United States Flag for Burial Purposes must be submitted to your local VA facility to obtain an initial or replacement flag
- Frequently Asked Questions
VA Service and Distribution Center Contacts
US Postal Service Material Distribution Center Contacts
*Note: You may need to visit the VA Viewer Software page to view these documents.