Office of Procurement, Acquisition and Logistics (OPAL)
This page is dedicated to the support of the Logistics Supply Chain which provides burial flags to the issuing office level. Individuals or authorized requestors wishing to apply for a burial flag should refer to the National Cemetery Administration’s (NCA) Burial Flags website for guidance on eligibility and application forms. Postmasters, Funeral Home Directors and VA Offices may use this page for information and guidance on burial flag distribution and support.
The VA Service and Distribution Center (SDC) supplies burial flags to VA facilities and U.S. Post Offices (USPS) throughout the country and around the world. The flags are then issued directly to funeral directors and families of deceased Veterans. Burial flags are provided free of charge to the next of kin of honorably discharged Veterans. Additional information on burial flags and burial benefits is available at the NCA Home Page.
- U.S. Post Offices are the primary Issue Point for all VA supplied Burial Flags free of charge to the next of kin of honorably discharged Veterans.
- VA Regional Offices process flag applications received from U.S. Post Offices to ensure timely replacement of flags to the issuing office, as well as provide information on VA Benefits.
- Delegated VA Medical Centers Act as Regional Distribution Points to supply U.S Post Offices and National Cemeteries functioning as Issue Points.
- The VA SDC/Operations Division maintains inventory control, receiving, quality control, packing and shipping for all burial flags through-out the world.
- More information on burial flags and burial benefits is available at https://www.cem.va.gov/.
Distribution Contacts for USPS and VA Use Only
Contact Lists for VA Regional Office Burial Flag Coordinators and Medical Center Burial Flag Distribution Points are available for postal employees and VA Staff to ensure Issuing Offices maintain a reliable inventory of Burial Flags available for issue upon request regardless of geographical location.
- Program Guidance for VA Regional Offices
- Program Guidance for VA Medical Centers
- VA Regional Office Burial Flag Units 05/2019
- VA Burial Flag Distribution Points 07/2017
Program Guidance for Post Offices, Funeral Homes and Cemeteries
Complete guidance on ordering flags, applicable to the USPS and the VA may be found in SDC Memorandum 796-13-01, Guidance for the Distribution and Replenishment of Burial Flags.
- Program Guidance for Post Offices
- VA Form 27-2008, Application for United States Flag for Burial Purposes must be submitted to your local VA facility to obtain an initial or replacement flag.
- Frequently Asked Questions
VA Service and Distribution Center Contacts
*Note: You may need to visit the VA Viewer Software page to view these documents.