COVID-19 vaccines and Testing
Safe care is our mission. The Tuscaloosa VA Healthcare System offers the COVID-19 vaccine to ALL Veterans, Veteran spouses, caregivers of Veterans, and CHAMPVA recipients at no cost.
COVID-19 Vaccine Eligibility
- ALL Veterans - Veteran does not need to be enrolled in VA health care to receive COVID-19 vaccine
- Spouses of Veterans
- Caregivers of Veterans - For COVID-19 vaccine eligibility, caregiver is defined as a family member or friend who provides care to a Veteran
- CHAMPVA Benefits Recipients - Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Mandatory masking remains in place for all individuals entering our facilities, regardless of vaccine status.
To get the latest updates and sign up to stay informed about COVID-19 vaccines, visit our vaccine information page.
NOTE: Tuscaloosa VA currently offers Moderna COVID-19 vaccine Monday thru Friday
The Tuscaloosa VA Medical Center's Vaccine Clinic is located on the Ground Floor of Building 137. Contact your Primary Care Provider or call 205-554-2010 to schedule an appointment.
- Vaccine Clinic hours are 7:45 -1130am and 12:00pm - 4:00pm
- Walk-ins hours are 8:00am - 11:00am
COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Information
The health and safety or our Veterans and staff remain a top priority for VA. Vaccine remains the best way to protect everyone from serious illness. Protect yourself, your family, and your community by scheduling your appointment today. COVID-19 vaccine has been proven to be effective in diminishing the spread of the virus within our communities.
Veterans are asked to bring their valid VA ID card with them and the CDC Vaccination Card.
Who is eligible for a booster?
Anyone age 18 or older who:
- Completed the Moderna series at least 6 months ago
- Completed the Pfizer series at least 5 months ago
- Received the Johnson & Johnson single dose at least 2 months ago
VA will continue to offer COVID-19 vaccine and boosters to those authorized under Save Lives Act recipients while supplies last.
Why is a booster important?
COVID-19 vaccine effectiveness fades over time.
• A booster will recharge your body’s ability to protect you from COVID-19!
For more information about the COVID-19 booster, visit CDC.gov.
If you are an enrolled Veteran who received a vaccination outside of the VA, please report it to your primary care team.
Tuscaloosa VAMC offers COVID-19 testing to Veterans enrolled in VA health care.
Currently the Tuscaloosa VAMC has testing Monday thru Friday:
- Veterans Sick Call in Building 135 Hours are 8:00am - 3:00pm
- For Pre Procedure please contact your Primary Care Provider
Patience is appreciated while coordinating staff and accommodating previously scheduled appointments.
Veterans who have been exposed to COVID 19 and are seeking a test, we request that you wait at least 2 days – following the exposure – to be tested.
Order 4 free at-home COVID-19 tests at COVIDtests.gov, or by calling 1-800-232-0233 (TTY 1-888-720-7489). Order tests now so you have them when you need them. Learn more about COVID-19 testing at VA.