Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.
Attention A T users. To access the combo box on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Press the alt key and then the down arrow. 2. Use the up and down arrows to navigate this combo box. 3. Press enter on the item you wish to view. This will take you to the page listed.
Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My healthevet badge

Office of Survivors Assistance



The Department of Veterans Affairs
The VA offers large amounts of information related to benefits for survivors. Listed below, you will find several of the most frequently searched for departments and allied organizations within the VA that may be useful to the survivor community.


Veterans Benefits Administration

National Cemetery Administration


VA Life Insurance

VA Education Benefits

National Survey of Veterans and Survivors

Center for Faith and Opportunity Initiative

Center for Minority Veterans

Center for Women Veterans



Department of Defense Links
Military OneSource


Military OneSource understands the needs of military family members who have lost a loved one. Surviving spouses, parents, and children can turn to Military OneSource for information, resources, and counseling support during their time of need. Help is available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week by telephone or Internet. Services include:

  • Face-to-face counseling in the local community at no cost
  • Immediate support of those with emotional well-being issues
  • Referrals to appropriate Service branch agencies, aid agencies, charitable organizations, support groups, and other resources
  • Educational materials related to benefits, grief, and other related issues
  • Translation services for more than 150 languages

Additional Contact Information:

You must use an access code before dialing the toll free number. Access codes can be found on the Military OneSource Web site at "Contact Us"
  • From overseas, deployed, or in remote areas only, you may call collect at Telephone Number 484-530-5908
  • En Espanol Telephone Number 1-877-888-0727
  • TTY/TTD Telephone Number 1-800-346-9188

Other Agencies


National Resource Directory:

This directory is an online partnership for wounded, ill, and injured service members, Veterans, their families, and families of the fallen, and those who support them. Casualty assistance is under the Family Support icon.

Visit the directory

Arlington National Cemetery:

If you wish to have your loved one buried or interred at Arlington National Cemetery, you should ask your local funeral home to telephone the internment office and arrange for the interment service. This should be done while you are, or your representative is, in the funeral home.


Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS):

DFAS provides professional finance and accounting services for members of the Uniformed Services and their dependents. Here you will find a wealth of information about military pay and benefits. Look under Retired Pay for information on Survivor Benefits.


Social Security Administration (SSA):

Social Security benefits may be available to the spouse or children of deceased service members. The amount paid will be determined by the Social Security Administration.

Expedited Claim Unit, 1-866-777-7887

Internal Revenue Service (IRS):

Certain VA survivor benefits are tax exempt. To learn more, please visit

National Association of State Directors of Veterans Affairs:

The national body coordinating the individual State Departments of Veterans Affairs. Visit the NASDVA website to link to your state DVA and learn about what individual survivor benefits your state may be providing.

National Archives:

The National Archives are responsible for the stewardship of military service records of veterans that have previously served in our nations armed forces. Please visit the National Archives to obtain copies of your loved one's DD-214, DD-1300, and other important information.
Visit The National Archives

Department of Labor:

The Department Labor offers a variety of services to veterans, their families, and their survivors.  To learn more about what DOL is able to do for survivors, please review this presentation, or click here for the DOL web site.



Connect with us

Subscribe to Receive
Email Updates


  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Blog
  • Youtube
  • Flickr