VA Asheville Healthcare System's chaplains serve people of all faiths and denominations as well as Veterans and their families looking for non-denominational support. They are here to listen and offer spiritual and emotional support as you struggle with tough questions and ethical decisions. Our interfaith chapel offers space for quiet reflection and scheduled services.
Asheville VA Medical Center
1100 Tunnel Road
Asheville, NC 28805
Contact a chaplain
You can contact a chaplain 5 different ways:
- Call our VA chaplains at 828-298-7911, ext. 2554 Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. ET. They will return phone messages during regular business hours.
- Ask your nurse or health care provider to schedule a chaplain consult.
- Walk into the chaplain office for a visit if the chaplain’s schedule is open. Our chaplain’s office is on the second floor.
- Call the emergency room and ask them to page a chaplain if it is after hours.
- Dial telehealth through VA Video Connect at 828-298-7911, ext. 2519
People of all faiths and traditions are invited to attend every Sunday at 9 a.m. ET in our interfaith chapel on the medical center’s first floor.
- Held at 3:30 p.m. ET in the canteen. (We are updating our 2020 schedule.)
- If possible, please call ahead so we can expect you.
- Large groups should contact VA Asheville’s Chaplain Service at 828-298-7911, ext. 2554.
Asheville VA Medical Center
Map of Asheville campus
Hours: 24/7 for prayer and meditation
Spiritual counseling and religious services
Our chaplains help patients and family members through outpatient treatment, hospital stays, and extended care. If needed, they will contact your personal clergy or spiritual care provider in the community. Our chaplains are clinical pastoral care specialists who provide religious and non-religious people with services such as:
- Bereavement (grief and loss) care
- Comfort and counseling
- Marital support
Research shows that spiritually active patients experience or report:
- Faster healing
- Greater coping skills
- Reduced pain
- Better quality of life
Chaplains understand the importance of having the support you need, when you need it. We serve and support our Veterans in many different groups, like:
- Combat trauma
- Moral Injury
- Significant other
- Vietnam Veterans
- Warrior to Soul Mate (W2SM)
- Women Veterans Spirituality
You can talk to our chaplains through VA Video Connect. The process is simple:
- Call VA Video Connect at 828-298-7911, ext. 2519.
- You will receive an email with a link that will open the video chat room.
- A chaplain will join then lock your private video meeting so no one else can join.
Volunteer with the Chaplain Service
VA Asheville health care’s program No Veteran Dies Alone supports Veterans who would otherwise be alone at the end of life. We need mature and caring volunteers to help with:
- Clerical support
- Family support
- Patient support
- Program coordination
Community Clergy Training Program (CCTP)
The CCTP program teaches community leaders and groups how to support Veterans and their families who feel alone or helpless and face unique challenges. The free program is open to community clergy and anyone interested in helping Veterans, such leaders in government, health care, Veteran organizations, non-profits, caregivers, and businesses. This free program involves 4 modules:
- Module 1: Military culture and the wounds of war
- Module 2: Pastoral care for Veterans and their families
- Module 3: Mental health services and referrals
- Module 4: Building community partnerships
Additional training may be included during the lunch hour. For training dates and locations, please call a VA Asheville chaplain at 828-298-7911, ext. 2554