Volunteer or donate
You can make a difference when you volunteer at or donate to the VA Asheville Healthcare System.
Become a volunteer
Western North Carolina Healthcare System depends on the goodwill of donors and volunteers who want to give something back to America's heroes. Volunteers provide much-needed help throughout the health care system and make patients' experiences more enjoyable. Many different volunteer opportunities are available, and each volunteer's talents are closely matched with one of our assignments.
Adult Volunteers (minimum of 18 years old) who are considered to be Regularly Scheduled are asked to commit to a minimum of 4 hours each week for a minimum of one year.
Volunteers are educated about the importance of ethics and confidentiality, professional behavior and appearance, proper patient interaction, universal precautions, infection control, fire safety and information privacy and cyber security.
In addition to supporting Veterans in your area, you’ll enjoy the following benefits as a VA Volunteer:
- Free Canteen Meal during shifts of 4 hours or more
- Free Annual Flu Shot
- Free Covid Vaccination, plus boosters
Whatever your interest, Asheville VA Health Care System has volunteer opportunities for you. Below are just some of the ways you can help. All Volunteers must complete a background check and be COVID vaccinated.
- Escort: Escort patients to medical appointments, to awaiting vehicle after procedures, and transporting lab requests
- Wheelchair Desk: Checking out wheelchairs to patients and sanitizing when returned
- Information Desk: Greet outpatients, guests, visitors, and patients’ families, give directions, answer phone and transfer calls at the information desk.
- Medical Clinics: Visit with patients, specific duties for that clinic, and run errands
- Transportation: Veteran Transportation Network (VTN) Drive patients from their homes to VA medical center.
- Coffee program: Prepare and serve refreshments
- Recreation: Help with arts and crafts projects, play bedside games, help on field trips, and help therapists with activities
- Fund raisers: Assist in our many fund raisers (Car Show, Hot Dog Event, etc.)
To inquire about becoming a Volunteer, please visit our Volunteer enrollment Page.
Monetary donations made to the Asheville VA Healthcare System help to fund recreational activities, purchase amenities that improve the quality of life for patients in our Community Living Center (Nursing Home), Rehabilitation Units, Mental Health, Hospice, and other long-term and acute care inpatient areas.
If you would like to donate by mail, please send check (payable to Asheville VA Health Care System) to:
Asheville VA Health Care System
VA Voluntary Services
1100 Tunnel Road
Asheville, NC 28805
If you would like to E-Donate please visit the VA Donate Page
Non-Monetary items that are also very appreciated include:
- Puzzles, Word search and puzzle books (New) – Used for Veteran inpatients and Community Living Center Residents
- Snacks, Soda and Water – These donations are used for Recreational activities and for comfort carts
- Art supplies – These donations are used for the Creative Arts Program: Canvas’, drawing pencils, charcoal, pastels, water color sets & paper, paint brushes
- Craft Kits - Kits are distributed to Veteran patients to help relieve stress. Wood and leather kits, beading, models, yarn and painting kits, dream catchers, and sun catchers.
If you have any questions about donations or volunteering, please contact our Voluntary Service Office at 828-299-2514